Installing more recent versions of Skype etc with(out) U3

I have my new Micro 1Gb and I'm very happy with it so far. It's running on Vista without a problem, despite there being no mention of Vista or Readyboost on the packing. Vista offers to use it for ReadyBoost immediately.

But, I'm undecided on whether I should stay with U3 or remove it. U3 is new to me, but it's working fine (version 1.4.0.2). According to Properties it was released in Dec '06, so the version of Skype etc have jumped several time since then. Installed is Skype 2.5.14.140

I would prefer to have the most recent version of Skype (3.6).

Can I install 3.6 on to my 1Gb?

If yes, will it take up noticable more space on my Micro than the 2.5?

If yes, should I do this with or without U3? 

I've got nothing against U3 (so far), but I'm happy to lose it in favour of using Skype 3.6 or Keepass instead of the installed SignUpShield.

Any advice or suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks

Re: Installing more recent versions of Skype etc with(out) U3

U3 has alot of fun utilities ,but its not really required by the drive i uninstalled it on mine , but it didn't really give me alot of room back
after i reinstalled it i checked it only took up a few megs out of 2 gigs so either way , the choice is yours

only suggestion i'd have is uninstall the older version before installing the new one.

Go to www.u3.com and check to see what the latest U3 version of Skype is.  If it's 3.6, then you can download it from there.

I have latest skype U3 installed ....240. However it work on some PC and in some PC it pop message "please download the latest version of skype from Tom.com"

After click ok, nothing started.

What could can I do with this?

This also happened to me after installing a newer version of skype. IItt work for any computer. It does not work on any other compter. Looking forward for a solution to this.

I just made the installation work. The downloaded skype.exe should be expanded first to *.u3p, then install and it works for me now. Hope this helps.

Hi ykkao1,

May you kindly provide some more detail? I got the exact same message that ask me to download the latest version from tom.com. I downloaded Skypeu3.exe. How do I expand it to *.u3p?

Thanks.

SBH

Message Edited by barryhu on 07-23-2008 12:18 AM

all you need to do is run the .exe with the cruzer attached to the computer and the u3 app will be installed in the device.