Highlighted

Re: I/O Device Error Message

I also have the identical problem with my 16GB Cruzer Contour.  But my problem is with one particular XP computer.
Highlighted

Funny (not HA HA).  The only computer I'm having trouble with is my Lenovo ThinkPad running XP.
Highlighted

I'll try your workaround.  But the whole purpose for buying the Cruzer was the security in the event it was lost.  Isn't the encryption part of the U3 program?
Highlighted

@rsmarch wrote:
I finally found a partial work around on machines for which the 16 GB Cruzer Contour fails. If you go into the device manager which you can find in the computer management, there are several devices listed for the SanDisk Cruzer. Select the one under the DVD/CD-ROM Drives category, mine was called SanDisk Cruzer Contour USB Device. Right-clic on it and select the option to disable it. I think this will disable the U3 features of the flash drive but the basic storage features worked fine for me after making this change.

Not really, disabling a device from the device manager would not disable a partition of the flash drive i would rather suggest you that if you do not want to use the u3 feature just uninstall it. Click here to get the uninstaller
Highlighted

Re: I/O Device Error Message won't run on Vista

Geezzz   I've had MANY Sandisks and they were all great, but someone needs to call San Disk and say W--- T-- F---

Regardless I figured out how to 'fix' it!

You need an XP machine and the U3 uninstaller program ( that I had from awhile back)

Hopefully its still available!

Install it on the XP machine and then run the U3 uninstaller

Voila  :-)))))))

PS  I could have left it alone with XP, but I run Vista on my newer Lap.

I 1st bought the 8 gig and thought it was broken, so I exchanged it and decided to upgrade to a 16....

;-(   same problem  :-(((((   

So after reading the last letter , I tried to disable the cd drive associated with it to no avail.

And thats when I had my 'brainstorm' and my procedure worked like a Charm

enjoy!