Highlighted
Accepted Solution

File ordering change when copied from Windows XP

My question has to do with how files are ordered on the Cruzer Micro USB Flash Drive.

I have a PC running Windows XP, a Cruzer Micro 1.0GB Flash Drive, and a Kodak SV811 Digital Picture Frame.

I would like to be able to copy photos to the flash drive and dictate the order in which the photos appear.  The manual that comes with the Kodak SV811 Digital Picture Frame says that the pictures are displayed in the order they're stored on the device [i.e., the flash drive].

At first I thought all I had to do was to set up a folder tree on my PC desktop.  The tree would contain folders with groupings of photos.  I expected to be able to name folders to dictate the top-level order in which things are displayed.  And within each folder, I expected to be able to name each photo to dictate the order in which the photos are displayed.  Once this was set up, I'd use Windows Explorer to copy the top level folder and its contents from my PC desktop to the flash drive.

This scheme did not entirely work.

When I viewed the folder tree and the photo files on the PC desktop side by side with those on the flash drive, the ordering was not the same.  The upshot is that the photos were not displayed in the digital picture frame slide show in the order I was trying to achieve.

Any ideas would be be appreciated.

Re: File ordering change when copied from Windows XP

In case it should matter, my PC has Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2.

the file tree used on the device is the same as the PC, Alpha numerically. you should only need to name the files 1.jpg, 2.jpg ect and they should show up in that order. same for the folders. note some digital picture frames do not recognize sub directories.

And to expand on what drlucky said... makes sure to use a zero before 1-9, like 01.jpg, 02.jpg... and on.  If you do not put a zero before 1 through 9, then 11.jpg will come before 2.jpg.

Thank you for the replies.  I did some more testing.   Some of what you say panned out.  But I still found strange behavior.

Yes, my file names had leading zeros to make the length of the numbers the same.

I tried another experiment to corroborate what I was told in the first reply.  I created on my PC desktop a folder containing some sub-folders.  In each sub-folder I copied the same MS Word file (rather than .jpg photo files), renaming the file after each copy was made.  Though I did this in random alphanumerical order, the order shown using Windows Explorer, both on my PC and on the thumb drive, appeared in correct, as expected.  In this test, all the filenames had the same length.

On my thumb drive, I still had the folder tree from my earlier test.  The folders contained .jpg photo files.  Using Windows Explorer, I examined the content of each folder and sub-folder.  This, by default, was shown in Filmstrip mode; and the order was not alphanumerical.  So I changed View mode in Windows Explorer to List or Details; this time the file order was correct.  I then switched view mode to Thumbnails and once again to Filmstrip.  To my surprise, the file order was now correct.  All this by simply changing View mode back and forth.  In this test. all the filenames did NOT have the same length.  Files were named along the following line:  001 blah, 002 blah blah blah, 003 blah blah.  That is, the leading three characters were numeric and the trailing part was alphanumeric of differing lengths.  I assumed that for sorting purposes, file names of different lengths are padded to the right with some character (either a space or a null).  So the trailing part of the filenames should have had no impact on the sort order given that the leading part of the filenames was unique for each file.  Any idea why changing View mode would cause the sort order for Filmstrip mode to change?

... appeared correct ...

not

... appeared in correct ...

Originally I had written

... appeared in correct order ...

but then removed the word "order" because I had already used it earlier in the sentence.