Accepted Solution

Cruzer-Password Locked- 4gb

I have a 4gb Cruzer. I attempted to password 3 times and got locked out. I am 100% sure that the password was correct. Now It's telling me I have to loose all of my information before I can get in. Is their anyway around this? I cannot affort to loose my information..Please help.

Re: Cruzer-Password Locked- 4gb

unfortunatly if the drive is locked then no there is absolutly no way to revcover the data. 

We are having the same problem.  My sons final report was due yesterday for an english class and when he went to print it he was locked out due to password.  His only option now is to erase everything.  Am I missing somthing or is this the most rediculous thing you have ever heard!!?  Very disapointed with this product.

EON:  Although I hate it for you that you've locked the U3 Storage Device, I am very excited to see your statement about it.  I recently purchased one of the sandisk 4GB Cruzers (with U3), and I was excicted that I could use U3 for the purpose of providing keepsafe/security.  I've had this device for about a month, and I've used it several times - each time it would force me to enter my passcode before accessing any file.

All was wonderful in my confortable and secure portable binary forest... wonderful, that is, until tonight.  I connect the device, the autoplay featrue launches U3, and minimizes it to the system's tray.  I clicked the U3 icon and from the pop-up menu, I choose "Open Drive x:"... as usual, I am prompted for my password.  Just like always, I type it and hit enter. 

What?  hmmm, no ... I don't have CAPS LOCK on... I must have hit a wrong key.  Again, I enter the password... this time very slowly, with ruthless concentration... that should do it... enter...  What? NO NO NO... Try again... **bleep**.... huh... if I try one more time it will permanently lock me out of the device.  I LOSE EVERYTHING?  Unacceptable.

I am 110% certain... with no doubts.. no question... certain certain certain that my passcode was typed CORRECTLY.  But U3 doesn't agree.  I know we're taught not to do it, but I use this same password for everything... SO I AM CONFIDENT THAT U3 IS MALFUNCTIONING.

Highlighted

SanDisk Rep:

Since there is no backdoor into a disk drive when the password is forgotten, then you should, at the very least, give us the ability to register the device at your Web site.  This way, when we log into the site, we would be able to view our sandisk devices.  When they are registered, then you automatically create a "forgot my devices password", and after some checks / measures verifying I am the right person, you let me download a file that will reset the password for me.

I am confident that U3 is not 100% reliable in its security function.

Yeah, I like that suggestion. Just like those found on websites, but what it only show is the password and not offer a reset. I guess resetting it needs one hell of a work.

Offering a backdoor defeats the purpose of absolute security. It's also a ground for lawsuit.

Hi. I have a 4GB SanDisk CRUZER Contour. It was working fine until today when I accidentally removed it from the USB port without ejecting it. Since then when I plug it in it prompts me for the password it keeps giving me the 'Wrong Password' error even though I know I am using the correct one.

Question 1: Does anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it?

Question 2: If you enter your password too many times and it locks you out, is there not a time-out before it allows you to re-enter your password again. (ie: Wait 30mins and try again)

Cheers, Nathan

nattafx@gmail.com 

if the drive is telling you the password is incorrect and you are sure you are entering the correct password then the drive has failed and will need to be replaced. data recovery will not be possible since the data is encrypted.