Accepted Solution

Cruzer 16GB - Dead after drive letter changed

Hi all,

I have a 16GB Cruzer which was working fine. 2 days ago, by mistake, I changed the drive letter of CDROM drive while launchpad was running, and it's not working ever since.

Whenever I plug it in, it shows up in My Computer for a few seconds and then disappears. It's not showing up in Disk Management, or any other disk/partition utility.

I've tried another PC but to no avail.

Someone please help me! I need my Cruzer back!

Thanks in advance.

Highlighted

Re: Cruzer 16GB - Dead after drive letter changed

So when you plug it in neither U3 drive gets a drive letter or only the CDROM drive doesn't?

Both appear for a few seconds, get the first two available drive letters, then disappear.

I'm surprised neither don't show in Disk Management as Disk 1 and Disk 2.  With the device plugged in do they show in Device Manager under Storage Volumes? 

For a few seconds, yes.

I've removed all traces of this device from Device Manager. Now Windows starts to install driver, and then complains that the device is unplugged.

I believe this means the hardware is OK, but U3 System Drive is messed up somehow.

Windows is horrible with keeping track of removable drives.  If the USB drive was assigned a drive letter and drivers loaded, then the USB drive was removed and a camera was plugged in Windows could assign the same drive letter to it and load new camera drivers.  When you remove the camera and plug in the USB drive Windows may reassign the same drive letter again but now the drivers don't match the hardware.

If the USB drive has a similar problem in a different pc then I agree there is something wrong with the USB drive but changing the drive letter should not have caused it.

If the USB drive does work in other pcs than you can try removing the drivers for other USB devices you use and restart the process. 

Message Edited by Ed_P on 07-04-2010 06:52 PM