Highlighted
Accepted Solution

8GB formatting issues

I'm trying to transfer a few backup DVD .iso files from my old computer i'm handing down to my newer one via my cruzer micro 8GB.  A few of the files are a smidge over the apparent 4GB limit (just today a 3.9GB file transfered flawlessly, but 4.1, there's no room, despite there being well over 7 GB of space).  What, if anything, can I do to increase this file size limit?  Current format is FAT32.  Thanks.
Highlighted

Re: 8GB formatting issues

FAT32 has a file size limit of 4GB.  So any single file can not exceed that.  I will tell you how to over come thisby formatting the drive NTFS, but this is not suggested by SanDisk because it could potentially wear out the flash drive faster.  I am not saying that it will stop working tomorrow, but if left this way, it might wear out after several years of hard use.  If it was me, I would format it back to FAT32 when I was done transferring large files.  Also, SEE THE WARNINGS AFTER MY INSTRUCTIONS, cuz I don't want you coming back here and yelling at me saying I did not tell you so... :smileyhappy:

1) Right click on My Computer (or Computer with Vista) and choose Manage.

2) Click on Device Manager on the left hand side.

3) Click the plus next to Disk Drives on the right hand side.

4) Right click on the SanDisk and choose Properties.

5) On the new window that opens, click on the Policies tab at the top.

6) Select Optimize for Performance and then click OK. 

7) Now, in My Computer (or Computer for Vista), right click on the Removable Disk for the Cruzer and choose Format, you will have an option under System for NTFS (along with FAT32).  Use NTFS for the System.  Click Start and when it is done, you can now copy large files over to the drive. 

Warning:  This will erase everything on the flash drive, so make sure you back up anything you need.

Warning:  You now must use the Safely Remove Hardware icon by the clock or else risk data loss or corruption (before it was an option) 

Highlighted

reformatting the drive isn't gonna mess with the U3 stuff on it, is it?  As of right now I don't use it, but I'd like to know it's still an option.  I'll definitely be able to live without it, but i'm curious.
Highlighted

Thanks a lot, by the way.
Highlighted

@jay7611 wrote:
reformatting the drive isn't gonna mess with the U3 stuff on it, is it?  As of right now I don't use it, but I'd like to know it's still an option.  I'll definitely be able to live without it, but i'm curious.

It will not mess with the U3 part, but that can also always be gotten back should you want to. 

If you have any applications you have bought or want to keep, you need to back up a hidden System folder before you format.  To do this, open the Removable Disk, go up to Tools, then select Folder Options.  Click the View tab, and check Show Hidden Files and Folders.

You will then see the hidden System folder, just copy it to your computer.  Simply copy it back after the format. 

Highlighted

Another solution is to get Winrar ( or some program that can divide files) and split the file, say 2GB each. That way you can move a bunch a little files that are all under the 4GB mark :smileywink: