Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Problems installing Micro driver with WIN98SE

Yes, I know, I should have gotten rid of this OS long ago but it's just not in the cards yet.

Nevertheless I am still having problems getting my computer to associate the driver with the flash drive. I downloaded and installed both drivers (1 for non U3 - SDCZ4 and the other with U3 and Ready Boost) and neither one have been able to work. Nero is not installed on this computer.

After I follow the instructions from the web site to install the driver it says to plug in the flash drive and the computer will give the "New Hardware Found" text and go through looking for a driver for it. It NEVER finds one. I go to the Device Manager and it does show as being connected but no driver assinged to it.

I have a Cruzer Micro 4GB with U3 support.

My system is:

Windows 98SE
PIII 600MHz
768 mb RAM
40gb Hard Drive (master)
12gb Hard Drive (slave)
Using IE6.0

Re: Problems installing Micro driver with WIN98SE

Been a while since I used 98 but I will take a stab at it.  It seems you may have inserted the drive before installing the drivers for it.  Have you tried connecting the device, and while its connected, go into device manager and uninstall or remove it from there.  Once that is done (and you still have the drivers installed) disconnect and then reinsert the device and let windows detect the drivers for it.  Hope that works for you. :smileyhappy:

Thanks for taking a shot at this. Sorry to say it didn't work. When I told the system to look for the driver itself it said it was unable to find one (same thing happened with both drivers). I then tried to tell it myself which driver to associate with the flash drive. I started working with the USB controllers but that didn't work. Then I tried telling the system it was nothing but a big removable disk drive, no luck either.

In a bit of desperation I called SanDisk tech support (whatever country that was) and they tell me that the U3 drives are not supported by Win 98 or Win 98SE. I told him it's no problem and I'll use it at work and save it till I get the $$$ for another computer (6-12 months??). He did say I could return it within 30 days and exchange it for a drive without U3 but I got a sweet deal on this one at Radio Shack the day after Thanksgiving for $25 and no rebates needed.

Thanks for all the help!!

Hello TBlasing

I just bought a SanDisk SDCZ6 on Saturday and installed it on my 98SE laptop, so I am sure it will work.
I had a little difficulty also with the installation of the drivers but I finally got it to work. If you haven't given up yet, post another reply and we will see if we can get it figured out. I am sure the SDCZ4 uses the same driver as the SDCZ6.

Bill

Bill!!!! My savior!! If you can remember the steps you went through to get it to work that would be wonderful!

Hi TB

I'm not sure about the savior part, but we'll see.  I just installed the drivers on my other laptop that uses 98SE.  Here is what I did.  I added a couple of other notes in here that I think might apply to your situation. That is, uninstalling your current installation.  I looks a bit complicated but here goes:

Follow Download Instructions for your drive:
1) Dowload zip file
2) Extract
3) Double Click setup.exe

After setup is done:
Click Start
Goto Settings
Goto Control Panel
Double Click System Icon
Click on Device Manager
Check the View Devices By Type button
Attach SanDisk flash drive (Light on drive may light up)
If things are working correctly, the drive should pop-up under the Hard Disk controllers
Category

If Not, it should show up in some other area (In My Case - Other Devices) with a ? question
mark if the drive light is lit. If not it is probably not installed so skip the next step.

Click on it, to highlight it, and click the Remove button. Once the device driver has been
removed you will be able to reinstall it. If you can't find it in the list of devices, it is
probably not installed anywhere and the light should not light up when you plug it in.

Once the driver has been removed, or the driver was not installed, unplug the drive, wait a
few seconds and plug it in again. The New Hardware Wizard should pop up when you attach
the drive and it should identify itself (as in my case, a U3 Cruzer Micro).  Make a note
of this identifier so you can use it later.

The wizard will ask:
What do you want Windows to do?
Check Display a list of all drivers in a specific location
     Click Next

Wizard: Select type of device from list below:
     Highlight Hard Disk Controller
     Click Next

Wizard: Manufacturer
     Highlight SanDisk on the Left and Cruzer (as noted above) on the Right
     Click Next

You may get a: WARNING - The driver was not written for the selected hardware...
                Are you sure...
     Click Yes

It should locate the driver. In my case it is in C:\WINDOWS\INF\SNDK98.INF
     Click Next
     Click Finish

Some install popups should appear and the drive should be ready to use
I hope this isn't too complicated. I might have paraphrased a few things, but it should be pretty close.

Good Luck and let me know how it goes.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Would you believe right after I posted to you last I went on Google and did a search for the driver and came up with this site - http://www.msfn.org/board/Maximum-Decim-Native-USB-Drivers-t43605.html

It's a generic driver that doesn't show that goofy orange Cruzer icon on the desktop when it's plugged in. Woke up other people in my house yelling "YES!!!" after it took the install and recognized the flash drive.

Thanks for all the typing! I saved the driver install file and even renamed it "SAVE THIS FILE - SANDISK MICRO CRUZER".

Have a good one!

This is for Bill 2416 amd TB.
  Such timing, have the same problem. Got my micro cruzer (2Gb)on sale as well recently 12.99.

The download of the 98SE driver from Sandisk went well. Getting the setup to work is another story. I tried several methods from the web as well as the Sandisk version, which is useless.

Thanks to Bill and his very fine instructions, I think I got to the final step. I followed the instructions and all worked well to the last word. I rebooted at the end.

Now my question: When i plug in the cruzer into my USB port, it loads up well and DriveE: shows up on "My Computer". Then nothing happens.

Am I supposed to get a box/window automatically asking me what to do?

If not, how do I use the drive to make a back-up of one of my files, or any other back-up?

What am I missing? Sure could use your help to get this going.

carson35

If your "new" drive shows up in My Computer and does nothing (as in asking you what to do) and you can access the drive by double clicking on it, you're good to go.

Now if you don't see the "U3" come up in My Computer too then your one up on me. I personally don't want it since the main program I would use this drive for doesn't support U3.

Thanks for the reply, TB, Here is as I see it:

I have the 98SE, a non-U3 device. The driver SDCZ4 is designed for the non-U3 system. Am using Firefox-- will try it on IE tomorrow.

It is now resident in the proper location in C:\WINDOWS\INF\SNDK98.INF

With the cruzer plugged in and visible on 'MY COMPUTER" nothing happens.

When I double-click on the D-Drive (Cruzer memory) I simple get the original file folder of the download again shown in a new window.

What's the next step, if any?

I'll look at the generic driver download mentioned in your past post tomorrow. Is that one working for you?

carson35