Accepted Solution

Password Protection

I feel like a complete idiot (well, I am in this instance...).  I am a slave to keeping ALL my passwords but for some reason I didn't write down ANY of my thumb drive passwords (Verbatim & Toshiba are my next research projects!).  I have a Micro 4, 2 & 1 GB Cruzer and NO passwords for any of them.  I've looked in all the usual hiding places, tried all my tried & true passwords and no luck.  I am "OK" with losing all my data - I can download it all again, but how do I delete what's on there & how do I do that if I can't supply my passwords to "get in"?  IF I delete everything, won't I delete the password "software" also?  THAT I want to keep! 

Can you tell that this is just beyond my limited computer knowledge? 

Any elementary explanation (read - in very plain English for this former Kindergarten teacher!) would be greatly appreciated. 

I hate to lose all the $ I have in these devices - they're worthless to me at this point!

Thanks so much!  LG
Highlighted

Re: Password Protection

Hiya Cruzer,

I myself have several U3 cruzers and I feel where ya coming from. On U3 launch if you choose the "Forgot Password" option, It will format the drive and reset the password........ BUT! ! ! Despair not my fine Cruzer addicted friend.......

It may cost money, But as I said I feel your Pain and I have been there, Contact those people and purchace "Recovery Pro" and any lost data can be retrieved.

Another option I am wanting to try is using the U3 uninstaller, which backs up all the data on ur PC when uninstalling U3 and replacing it after. I am not sure if that will work, In theory, I think it might, But dont Quote me...... I can let you know once I try it.

I hope I have eased your pain and sufforing...lol

Your friend in sandisk addiction....lol

Lj

if you use "forgot password" data recovery will not be possible as this is a security feature.

It's me again - I've tried clicking on the "Launch U3 exe" icon & nothing happens.  Tried right clicking, etc.  No way to GET to "Forgot Password" - can't find that!

I know I'm not "with it" but I never thought I was THIS not with it!  I'm on my computer 6-8 hours a day without problems.  This has me buffalo'd! 

What am I doing wrong?

what OS is on your computer?

how does the device show in my computer, device manager, and disk managment?

Hi Go to the sandisk web site and download the Software to remove launchpad software.Use this to remove the launchpad on the usb drive this formats the drive so it the can be used as a normal usb drive, Then at the sandisk web site download the install launchpad software this will be a updated version that was on your drive if your Cruser U3 is more than 6 months old.When you plug it in it asks you to put in a new password,When the drive loads up go to add programs & add the ones you had on the drive in the first place eg,Skype,Crusersnyc u3.Hope this help you From Ian

Message Edited by ianfitz on 02-13-2008 03:05 PM

Re: Password Protection - your pasword system is not protecting any thing !!!!!!!!!!!!

your pasword system is not protecting any thing !!!!!!!!!!!!

It is for dum users only! You can access the data simply after booting your computer with a flash drive inserted! If there is no auto run in place.! It is totaly stupid!

:smileyvery-happy:

I know it's old bag now,but anyhow

the password protection doesn't even apply when you boot in Linux rather than windows

So it's not stupid, it's for the innocent and naive

but still, it is good training (remembering the password that is), alzheimer you know, worse than death

Well i would have to try the drive on a linux to check what uamule refers to but i m sure of the fact that connecting a password protected drive to the computer while the computer is being started would not let you access the drive on a windows computer, ive tried doing this with different SanDisk u3 flash drives and it does not happens the way anikushin says it does.

However as the password protection is hardware based if you plug the drive in the computer put in the password once and restart the computer (without ejecting the drive) it may let you access the drive

So always remember to disconnect the drive.