Accepted Solution

Capacity Issues With My New Cruzer Contour 16GB Flash/Pen Drive

Hi, Nice to meet you all

All though I am a newbie on here I previously owned a SanDisk Cruzer Micro 8GB since last October 2007 because of learning web design at a college but unfortunately lost it two weeks ago this year 2008 so £51 down the drain oops! but luckily I had backed up my files and images and also it was password protected but if they are good hackers I have no private information on it anyway thank god.

On a high note I received my new SanDisk Cruzer Contour 16GB Flash/Pen drive this morning which cost £42.00 so a year makes allot of difference in prices! any how I plugged my New Cruzer Contour 16GB Flash/Pen Drive into my computer for the first time, it managed to install the U3 software onto my computer without any hassle and then I formatted it to NTFS as the FAT format seems quite bulky in a way because of taking up more drive space when downloading or moving stuff onto the Flash/Pen drive (am I right?).

When I clicked on the cruzer icon it says on the U3 software that I only have 14.8GB left is this the correct amount I should have left because of the U3 software being preinstalled on there? also when I clicked on the cruzer icon, clicked on Settings, clicked on U3 Launchpad Settings and then clicked on Capacity it says in total I have 15.3GB but surely I should have 16GB in total? you will laugh as I also went into My Computer then right clicked on the Flash/Pen drive icon then selected Properties and on the Capacity section it says in total I have 14.9GB what is going on here? as I am totally confused! at the end of the day I do not want to lose out on a GB or two as after all I pay for it!;-)

Many Thanks for reading this and maybe replying to it, very much appreciated.

Hope to speak to you guys and gals soon.

Regards, Oliver

Message Edited by SanDiskMadness on 12-04-2008 05:05 PM

Re: Capacity Issues With My New Cruzer Contour 16GB Flash/Pen Drive

You will never have 16GB due to the fact that how computers figure out capacity is different from how all storage manufacturers figure out capacity.  This is true for all hard drives, flash drives, etc from all manufacturers. 

Basically, the 15.3 GB total sounds about right, but the software that comes on the drive takes up some space, which is where you are getting your 14.8 GB free. 

Hi fuzzy_logic

Thank you for replying to my thread and for the interesting information, I have read some where before that due to the fact that how computers figure out capacity is different from how all storage manufacturers figure out capacity but wanted to confirm because the capacity reading on the U3 software says 15.3GB and on my computer it says 14.9GB in total? and at the time of reading it I thought how stupid because in a way they are lying to us all saying it is 16GB even though in reality it is 15.3GB! once again customers are left in the dark. Cool that is great that 15.3GB sounds about right to you. that is a load off of my mind thanks. Yeah I thought that the U3 software would take up some space on my Cruzer Contour 16GB Flash/Pen Drive.

If anyone owns or has just received their new Cruzer Contour 16GB Flash/Pen Drive please let me know what Capacity readings you get as I would and I am sure other people to would like to know to so that it will put their minds to rest to.

Take care.

Regards, Oliver

Some of the memory is used for the system cache/other things. Don't worry. Still, 16 gig is still a lot.

Hi,

Even I am facing the same problem. 16 gb pendrive only has 14.8GB available for use. Please let me know if you find a solution to it.

Thanks,

Regards,
Chandruboss4u

there is no solution. the answer is in this thread. some of the capacity is used for formatting and other functions and thus not available for user storage. there is even a disclaimer on every package.