SanDisk User

the BEST free MP3 Encoder for ripping CDs - and works with Windows XP

[ Edited ]
Hi,

I just bought a Sansa e260, and I am interested to learn what Encoder(s) Sandisk owners use when ripping CDs for your Sansa MP3 players.

For a year or so, I have been using Windows Media Audio 9 [WMA9] to rip my CDs to WMA format at 192 kbps, 320 kbps CBR, and Lossless.  The GUI or front-end software I currently use is jetAudio 7.1.8.4006 - its free and, in my opinion, easier to use than WMP9, WMP10 or WMP11.

But its the ENCODER that I am most interested in.  I read that LAME 1.98.1 is an excellent MP3 encoder, however, thus far, compared to WMA9, particularly at 128Kbps and below, LAME 1.98.1 is just that - lame.  WMA9 is VASTLY superior at these lower compression factors.  That being said, I must add that I cannot hear the difference between WMA9 and LAME 1.98.1 at 320Kbps.

Thank you for sharing your perspective on who makes the BEST free ENCODER for ripping your CDs.

As this thread progresses, so too goes my perspective.

With kindest regards,

CurlySue Smiley Happy
Message Edited by CurlySue on 03-02-2009 07:47 PM
SanDisk Guru

Re: BEST CD Ripping Software & MP3 Encoder - specifically for Windows XP users

I just recently started using this one http://www.freerip.com/install.php?disid=2

I had been looking for a free application that would let me rip to VBR MP3, without having to import any source code. This was suggested one day by one of the other members here, and it is easy as pie to set up .

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

SanDisk Fanatic

I really like EAC, or Exact Audio Copy, because you get some assurance from the AccurateRip database that the rip you did is correct, plus the error correction is outstanding.  You can get good results from even scratched CDs if you just let it run.  It takes some setting up to work the way you want, but after that, it is fairly brainless.  Put the CD in and press Go.

I rip everything to flac for archival purposes, then transcode to Ogg Vorbis via foobar2k for portable use, but you can transcode to whatever format you prefer.

DAPs: Fuze 8GB+16GB for office, Meizu miniPlayer 4GB for the car, Clip 8GB for walking around.
Headphones:: Sleek Audio SA-6 (treble ++), Koss KSC75 modded, Grado SR-80i, Grado-225.
SanDisk Guru

@CurlySue wrote:

Hi, 

I just bought a Sansa e260, and would like to learn what software/encoder(s) other Sandisk owners are using to rip CDs for your MP3 players.

For a year or so, I have been using jetAudio 7.1.8.4006 (front-end software) with Windows Media Audio 9 encoder to rip my CDs to WMA format at 192 kbps, 320 kbps CBR, and Lossless.  I am pretty sure that this encoder is, at best, average.  Therefore, its time to try something new. Prior to posting, I read that LAME 1.98.1 is an excellent MP3 encoder.  I also looked at front-end programs, like Audiograbber and LameFE, but I have not tried any of them yet.  

Thanks in advance for sharing your perspective on what software and encoder you are using to rip your CDs. 

CurlySue

Message Edited by CurlySue on 03-01-2009 03:16 AM

I guess the question that needs to be asked....Do you want programs that are easy or fast to use OR Do you want the best possible audio files possible?  FreeRip does a decent job and is a breeze to navigate, but it isn't necessarily the best application out there (I know.... this is very subjective).

I agree with tenzip that Exact Audio Copy probably provides the best CD rips and can even recover audio information from damaged CDs.  It takes a bit of time to initially set up; but that is usually done only once.  The website can be found HERE

If you are more comfortable using a front-end with the LAME codec, just experiment and find one that works for you.  Front-ends don't do much more than give the codec a GUI, it won't alter the quality of your resulting mp3's.  Lame Front-End or Razor Lame should work equally well.  Audiograbber is a virtual antique, but it probably would work as well.

Personally, in the rare instances where I have to encode to mp3 for a client (I am an ogg vorbis and FLAC person) I first use EAC then encode using lame (within a sound restoration package I use).

Hope you find a program or programs that work for you....Smiley Happy

"Before I sink into the big sleep...I want to hear the scream of the Butterfly"
SanDisk User

[ Edited ]

I also use Windows XP and I like dBpoweramp CD ripper.  The basic program is free to use but some useful features, like the LAME encoder, require payment. It does have a free trial period on the full features. 

I find it to be very easy to use. It automatically tags with meta data from online data bases. It also checks AccurateRip database automatically and has the option to do SecureRip error recovery. It can encode to almost all the popular formats, Lame MP3, ogg vorbis, flac, aac, wma, etc.

It's also handy at transcoding from one format to another. 

I used EAC for many years and it works well, but I find dbpoweramp to be easier and faster to use.

Message Edited by Alohamora on 03-01-2009 10:17 AM
Message Edited by Alohamora on 03-01-2009 10:21 AM
SanDisk User

Thank you Marvin_Martian, tenzip,  fuze_owner-GB and Alohamora for spending a few minutes to reply to my post.

After reviewing each response, I see that my initial post emphasized the GUI over the ENCODER.  I apologize for that. 

The primary focus should be on the ENCODER. 

Therefore, I am updating my initial post accordingly.

Thanks again to all of you!  Smiley Happy

CurlySue
SanDisk Guru

I dont know if it matters to you, but when(if) gappless playback becomes avalible if you want to use it, you need your files to have been made with the LAME codec. I dont know if it does LAME mp3 encoding, but Media Monkey is a great one for ripping and managing your files. You will however have to purchace the Gold edition eventually because you can only rip to Mp3 for the first 30 days.

Conversion Box
Did you notice this forum has a search function? Its not impossible to figure that someone else asked your question before you did, and we have answered it(probably multiple times). Check it out! Or Check out the Knowledge Base

SanDisk Guru

CurlySue...

If you want an encoder that sounds good at low bit rates, you should give ogg vorbis an audition or two.  It is known for having better sound quality at lower bit rates than most of the other encoders out there.  So, if you want a good balance between file size and sound quality, I would suggest ogg vorbis.

SanDisk Guru

@fuze_owner-GB wrote:

CurlySue...

If you want an encoder that sounds good at low bit rates, you should give ogg vorbis an audition or two.  It is known for having better sound quality at lower bit rates than most of the other encoders out there.  So, if you want a good balance between file size and sound quality, I would suggest ogg vorbis.

Keep in mind that there are a few bugs in ogg playback when using some encoders. It seems to me that this happens when the song is ripped to mp3 and then converted to ogg.

Conversion Box
Did you notice this forum has a search function? Its not impossible to figure that someone else asked your question before you did, and we have answered it(probably multiple times). Check it out! Or Check out the Knowledge Base

SanDisk Guru

@Conversionbox wrote:

@fuze_owner-GB wrote:

CurlySue...

Keep in mind that there are a few bugs in ogg playback when using some encoders. It seems to me that this happens when the song is ripped to mp3 and then converted to ogg.

I have N-E-V-E-R had playback issues using ogg vorbis.  I also would never encode from mp3 to ogg...