the BEST free MP3 Encoder for ripping CDs - and works with Windows XP

Well, I finally tried Ogg Vorbis (OV) with Audiograbber.  ****Specifically, I used the embedded library file, libvorbis.dll, dated 19 JUL 02, that came with Audiograbber 1.83 and, man, was it s-l-o-w. 

OV ripped track 1 at less than 3X and did not get above 5X thru track 12 so I aborted the rip. 

I may look for a newer Ogg Vorbis release and give it a spin, but my goal is 320Kbps so that may not be time well spend - because I understand that OV is best at lower bit rates. 

I also gave LAME 3.98.2 another go.  ** This time, I chose VBR instead of CBR.  **The difference, speed-wise, was immediate.  First, track 1 ripped near 14X, in contrast, the same CD track ripped at under 8X at CBR.  The 2nd track ripped near 16X and the 15th at 20X plus. 

These speeds were a dramatic improvement over my previous experience (noted above) where LAME 3.98.2 took 2.4X a long as Fraunhofer IIS 3.4.0.0.  However, the overall VBR “speed” results are still much slower than Fraunhofer.  ****LAME peaked at 20X.  In contrast, Fraunhofer peaked at over 32X.  Since, to my ears, Fraunhofer sounds better than LAME, this speed factor is a HUGE negative for me.  

After ripping 15 CDs, Fraunhofer averaged 115 seconds per CD at 320Kbps CBR.  That is less than 2 minutes per CD - a seriously FAST rate, in my experience.

Thus far, that is my update.

Thanks again to everyone for your contributions to this topic.

CurlySue :smiley:

Preferred Encoder: FraunhoferL3 Codec Professional, version 3.4.0.0

Preferred Decoder: Fraunhofer L3 Codec Professional, version 3.4.0.0

Preferred GUI programs: Audiograbber 1.83, jetAudio 7.1.8.4006 Basic

Message Edited by CurlySue on 03-03-2009 09:17 AM