Windoze 7, lol

Well, 7 was officially released today. I’ll have to wait until near Christmas to experience it, when I get my new computer,though. Should be quite an experience…I never have used a Vista machine, so I’ll be going from an old, slow, XP SP3 machine to a current, fast, 64-bit Win7 Ultimate system (with eight times the RAM of my old one) . I’ve been very happy with XP over this last year, but since it won’t be supported forever, I decided to go for the newest system.

Now, I just have to be patient.:wink:

@marvin_martian wrote:

Well, 7 was officially released today. I’ll have to wait until near Christmas to experience it, when I get my new computer,though. Should be quite an experience…I never have used a Vista machine, so I’ll be going from an old, slow, XP SP3 machine to a current, fast, 64-bit Win7 Ultimate system (with eight times the RAM of my old one) . I’ve been very happy with XP over this last year, but since it won’t be supported forever, I decided to go for the newest system.

Now, I just have to be patient.:wink:

Don’t get your hopes up too much… Vista and 7 are OK, but nothing to get overly excited about; they are just operating systems, after all.  I’ve got a pretty fast new machine myself, but I don’t find my normal everyday work progressing any faster than before.  It’s more about the “eye candy” than anything else.

Thinking back; while they weren’t the most user friendly in the world, the old DOS-only machines seemed the fastest at actual work with the programs of the day.

I disagree that it is ALL about eye candy. In fact, I think Vista with it’s Dream Scene content was MUCH prettier.

My pretty old system with Vista on it ran good. I set it up in my basement, splliced a cable TV line down there, and installed a tuner.

Tried and tried to get Media Center running. I even bought a signal amplifier. All Media Center told me was “no signal available”. Over and over.

Gave up.

Installed 7 on top of Vista.

Ran Media Center. Went to tuner config > scan > PICTURE!

Nothing changed on this box except the OS. But it feels like I upraded the ram, and installed a new video card.

Everything runs better then it did on Vista.

Message Edited by Peregrine on 10-22-2009 03:02 PM

@peregrine wrote:

I disagree that it is ALL about eye candy. In fact, I think Vista with it’s Dream Scene content was MUCH prettier.

My pretty old system with Vista on it ran good. I set it up in my basement, splliced a cable TV line down there, and installed a tuner.

Tried and tried to get Media Center running. I even bought a signal amplifier. All Media Center told me was “no signal available”. Over and over.

Gave up.

Installed 7 on top of Vista.

Ran Media Center. Went to tuner config > scan > PICTURE!

Nothing changed on this box except the OS. But it feels like I upraded the ram, and installed a new video card.

Everything runs better then it did on Vista.

Message Edited by Peregrine on 10-22-2009 03:02 PM

Well, if I want to look at something pretty; I don’t run to my computer.  It’s all about tasks for me.  The computer is a tool to get things done; nothing more-nothing less.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/22/burger-king-selling-a-windows-7-whopper-in-japan/

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 10-23-2009 01:58 PM

@marvin_martian wrote:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/22/burger-king-selling-a-windows-7-whopper-in-japan/

All it’s missing is the BACON. :stuck_out_tongue:

@tapeworm wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCHhWX205bY&feature=player_embedded

I ve been nagging my dad for my birthday present for a long time. I asked him for windows 7 and he said maybe. Well today i was nagging him again and he sais he bought me a present. So I have high hopes for windows 7 cause my netbook’s running a little slower since 7 came out.

@sansafinder wrote:
I ve been nagging my dad for my birthday present for a long time. I asked him for windows 7 and he said maybe. Well today i was nagging him again and he sais he bought me a present. So I have high hopes for windows 7 cause my netbook’s running a little slower since 7 came out.

Yeah . . . there’s nothing that will make a perfectly good computer run slow than having an updated OS come out for it, is there? :smileyvery-happy:

What I was trying to say is after experiencing 7 my vista netbook seems slower. And the present was one of those little ping pong tables. Its not windows 7 but I like it just the same.

@marvin_martian wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCHhWX205bY&feature=player_embedded

It says the first 30 people get the sandwich. It costs 777 yen of $7.77.

@nissanskyline wrote:

It says the first 30 people get the sandwich. It costs 777 yen of $7.77.

The conversion rate isn’t exactly 1 yen = 1 US penny

777.00 JPY = 8.49259 USD

1 JPY = 0.0109300 USD   1 USD = 91.4915 JPY

Still, 8 & half bucks isn’t bad for what appears to be almost 2 pounds of meat.

Still needs bacon, though. :smileyvery-happy:

Which notebook company offers back up operating systems with their products?

@sansafinder wrote:

I’m sure others offer the same deal, but I know for a fact that Dell will let you have a complete install disk of the operating system; for about a $10 surcharge.

Every release of Windows seems to have the description: 

“The new Windows is stable and secure.  This time we mean it!”

I remember the pre-release hype for windows 2000.  Bill Gates boasted they had a computer that had been running 4 days straight without rebooting!  About that time I my unix box at work had been running nearly a year, and my Linux PC at home routinely ran weeks at a time (with shutdowns being voluntary :stuck_out_tongue: )

@sansafinder wrote:

Backup as in a recovery disk, or as in a different OS in case the first one doesn’t work out?

My first laptop back in '95 came with Windows 3.something and OS/2.  You could run multiple copies of Windows under OS/2. 

Most I’ve seen with recovery disks, using it restores the computer to “like new”… files and programs added since are lost and need to be reinstalled /recovered from backup.

@donp wrote:

Every release of Windows seems to have the description: 

“The new Windows is stable and secure.  This time we mean it!”

I remember the pre-release hype for windows 2000.  Bill Gates boasted they had a computer that had been running 4 days straight without rebooting!  About that time I my unix box at work had been running nearly a year, and my Linux PC at home routinely ran weeks at a time (with shutdowns being voluntary :stuck_out_tongue: )

Have you seen the latest “Mac vs PC” commercial? That’s pretty much exactly the theme of the ad. “LOL MS has been promising a stable OS for years and they haven’t delivered yet!”

@donp wrote:

Most I’ve seen with recovery disks, using it restores the computer to “like new”… files and programs added since are lost and need to be reinstalled /recovered from backup.

Many PCs these days don’t actually come with the discs, but instead have a preinstalled utility for creating them yourself. I’ve even seen an instance or two in which the only recourse was to order recovery discs. (for a fee, no less!)

gwk1967 wrote: Cs these days don’t actually come with the discs, but instead have a preinstalled utility for creating them yourself. I’ve even seen an instance or two in which the only recourse was to order recovery discs. (for a fee, no less!)

Yes, more common these days to have it as an extra partition of the hard drive.

BTW, any mainstream MFR will have a recovery disk, not a real copy of Windows.  Getting the best license price from M$oft requires that it can’t be installed on a different computer.

I just transformed my XP to look live windows 7…FOR FREE!!!

Here’s the link:

http://www.askvg.com/transform-windows-xp-into-windows-7-without-using-customization-pack 

I would have used that if I had a better processor. It’s great for a computer with a processor of pentium or higher. My netbook is running 7 with a processor of VIA C-7M (Yes, I upgraded on Black Friday.) So that would have made it slower without the actual OS. I got my version of Home Premium for $50. It was a deal at Staples that said if you bought a computer running win 7, you would get 70 dollars off windows 7. We bought a laptop for our friend who gave us back how much it cost for the computer. Then we gave Staples the bill and they verified it. So that’s pretty much what I did on Black Friday.

Message Edited by sansafinder on 12-03-2009 08:12 PM