What is the strangest flavor of ice cream you tasted?

Why don’t most ice cream stores make interesting and exotic flavors? I would like to try wasabi, horseradish, mustard, curry, garlic, onion, cayenne pepper, smoked salmon, and other exotic ice cream flavors. Garlic ice cream is quite popular in some regions.

The lines at the garlic ice cream booths at the Gilroy Garlic Festival each year in Gilroy, CA are always the longest. I prefer vanilla, but my wife says the chocolate is also great.

And I’ve seen wasabi and other unusual flavors in some of the shops around here, maybe you just live in a ‘deprived’ neighborhood. :smileyvery-happy:

I frankly don’t understand the appeal of these exotic flavors.  I’ve had some of them, and no pun intended…they left me cold.  I’ll take good old fashioned, home-made ice cream made from fresh local milk and cream in a traditional flavor any day over the weird flavor blends.

It’s hard to beat great ice cream if it’s made properly…and about the only way that can be done anymore is at home.  Has anyone seen some of the commercial recipes; or seen it prepared?  Not my idea of appetizing.  No artificial gums, injected air or weird flavors are ever going to find their way into the ice cream I eat.

BUT…if it’s something you desire; go for it, just don’t invite me for dinner…:wink:

As I posted in the other forum, I love garlic, mustard, and cayenne pepper, but I don’t think they would work well as ice cream flavors.

I’m still a purist myself too. Gimme plain 'ol vanilla any day. Once in a great while, I’ll add some chocolate syrup and I sometimes (depending on the length of the line) will get some garlic ice cream at the Garlic Festival, but that’s only once a year.

Sometimes I like to sample (for free) some of the 31 flavors at Baskin-Robbins, but that’s all I need of it. My money still only pays for vanilla.

Oh, and chocolate if the wife is with me. :stuck_out_tongue:

Mint chocolate chip is my favorite…and before I reformed my evil ways, I used to enjoy it with some creme de menthe drizzled over the top.:stuck_out_tongue:

Ive had Banana it wasnt bad. There is a place here where you buy a base flavor and add what ever craziness you want to it, I tried jelly beans once but that didnt work cause they froze. 

Marvin_Martian wrote:
Mint chocolate chip is my favorite…and before I reformed my evil ways , I used to enjoy it with some creme de menthe drizzled over the top.:stuck_out_tongue:

What, you don’t like that Santana song? :stuck_out_tongue:

I had a co-worker that used to swear by pouring a shot or 2 of scotch or good Irish whiskey over vanilla ice cream. No sour mash though. :dizzy_face:

Marvin_Martian wrote:
Mint chocolate chip is my favorite…and before I reformed my evil ways , I used to enjoy it with some creme de menthe drizzled over the top. :stuck_out_tongue:

What, you don’t like that Santana song? :smileyvery-happy:

I had a co-worker that used to swear by pouring a shot or 2 of scotch or good Irish whiskey over vanilla ice cream (no sour mash though). I never had the guts to try it.  :dizzy_face:

Tapeworm wrote:

Marvin_Martian wrote:
Mint chocolate chip is my favorite…and before I reformed my evil ways , I used to enjoy it with some creme de menthe drizzled over the top. :stuck_out_tongue:

What, you don’t like that Santana song? :smileyvery-happy:

I had a co-worker that used to swear by pouring a shot or 2 of scotch or good Irish whiskey over vanilla ice cream (no sour mash though). I never had the guts to try it.  :dizzy_face:

I could see it with a nice Jameson’s.:wink:

Okay, I see you guys like the sweet stuff. There are still some sweet flavors that are not easy to find, such as cinnamon, banana and peanut butter, or cinnamon together with banana and peanut butter.

I just thought of a weird flavor. How about beer flavored ice cream?

How about weird flavored pasta or rice? Pasta or rice can be cooked in any liquid, not just water. I wonder how they taste cooked in chocolate milk, wine, orange juice, tomato juice, or beer?

JK98 wrote:

Okay, I see you guys like the sweet stuff. There are still some sweet flavors that are not easy to find, such as cinnamon, banana and peanut butter, or cinnamon together with banana and peanut butter.

How about weird flavored pasta or rice? Pasta or rice can be cooked in any liquid, not just water. I wonder how they taste cooked in chocolate milk, wine, orange juice, tomato juice, or beer?

I can Get Banana at the corner store but thats also made by a local manufacturer who distributes around here.  I have had Beer Ice Cream It was not good at all. I have also had Pasta cooked in beer and in vodka, the beer was good. As for the rest of that stuff Im not thinkin it would be any good. 

@jk98 wrote:

I’m repulsed by the thought of purchasing ice cream, as it is about as flavorful as the container it comes in.  If you make your own fresh ice cream as I do, concocting a flavor profile of your choice is easy.

I still don’t see the point in the weird flavorings; but to each their own.

Last summer I did make a rather unique ice cream flavor, just for something different.  I didn’t go by a recipe (as trained in culinary arts, I never do) but made a creation that I called “Bananas Foster Ice Cream” and it was indeed very good.   That was a fluke for me; normally if I want Bananas Foster, I’ll make the original…but for an experiment it was rather good.

I remember one time in culinary school we had an assignment to make avocado ice cream.  It was tasty, but nothing I’d go out of my way for.  Give me a high butterfat base, all natural flavorings and no air injected and I’m pretty content in the normal flavorings.

Exotic flavors aside, it is impossible (for my tastes) to get a decent ice cream from a shop or store anymore.

Indeed, give me a decent natural vanilla any day.  I love the flavor of the vanilla bean, the genuine article, as it has a subtle complexity all its own.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Garlic,horseradish,onion and mustard in ice cream - YUK!!! This ain’t hot dogs! Ice cream is a treat - gotta be sweet, traditional flavors! I’ve never heard of these wierd flavors. Must be a California thing. Sounds (and probably tastes) as terrible as their specialty pizza!

14124all wrote:
Garlic,horseradish,onion and mustard in ice cream - YUK!!! This ain’t hot dogs! Ice cream is a treat - gotta be sweet, traditional flavors! I’ve never heard of these wierd flavors. Must be a California thing. Sounds (and probably tastes) as terrible as their specialty pizza!

Im in Ohio and I have had some of the weird flavors. 

Cayenne ice cream would be cool! Beet ice cream would be interesting.

JK98 wrote:

I’m with you on the cayenne flavor. Like cinnamon, the piquant spicy flavor would be the perfect foil for the cold, creamy sweet flavor base of the ice cream. Kind of a Yin-Yang thing.

I have to disagree on the b**t suggestion though. That, to me would be so disgusting I can’t even type the word! :dizzy_face:

Made Cranberry flavor today at the Ice cream store. Its pretty good for breakfast. I want to try Fruit Loop Flavor but cant figure out how.

@tapeworm wrote:

@jk98 wrote:

I’m with you on the cayenne flavor. Like cinnamon, the piquant spicy flavor would be the perfect foil for the cold, creamy sweet flavor base of the ice cream. Kind of a Yin-Yang thing.

I have to disagree on the b**t suggestion though. That, to me would be so disgusting I can’t even type the word! :dizzy_face:

Approximately 40-60% of granulated sugar in the US comes from beets, rather than cane; so technically if you use sugar that had it’s origins from beets, you are eating “Beet Ice Cream”.

When it’s ice cream making season again (no electric machines for me; only old-fashioned hand cranked in the back yard), I think I’m going to try my hand at some beet ice cream.  Beets are naturally sweet, have a lovely color…so I think it would be a great candidate for a fantastic ice cream.