What are you listening to right now?

I like Animals. It’s a neat album. Currently, I am listening Carmina Burana.

Review

by John Bush

A new album from Massive Attack is an event, even if only one-third of the original group is present for the festivities. Just the group’s fourth album in more than a dozen years, 100th Window marked the departure of Mushroom (permanently, after artistic differences) and Daddy G (temporarily, to raise a family), leaving only one founding member, 3D (Robert del Naja), to muddle along with arranger/producer Neil Davidge (who made his Massive Attack debut on 1998’s Mezzanine). Though Del Naja is mostly successful giving the people what they want – a follow-up to Mezzanine, one of the most compulsive listens of '90s electronica – it unfortunately comes as a sacrifice to the very thing that made Massive Attack so crucial to dance music: their never-ending progression to a radically different sound with each release. For better or worse, 100th Window has the same crushingly oppressive productions, dark, spiralling basslines, and pile-driving beats instantly familiar to fans of Mezzanine. Fortunately, it also has the same depth and point-perfect attention to detail, making for fascinating listening no matter whether the focus is the songs, the effects, or even the percussion lines. Jamaican crooner Horace Andy is back for a pair of tracks (“Everywhen,” “Name Taken”) that nearly equal his features on the last record, while Sinéad O’Connor makes her debut with three vocal features. Unlike Liz Fraser or Tracey Thorn (two Massive Attack muses from the past), O’Connor’s voice lacks resonance and doesn’t reward the close inspection that a Massive Attack production demands. Still, her songwriting is far superior and the slight quaver in her voice adds a much-needed personality to these songs. “A Prayer for England” is a political protest that aligns itself perfectly with the group that coined its name as a satirical nod to military aggression. Another feature for O’Connor, “What Your Soul Sings,” is the only song here that compares to the best Massive Attack has to offer, beginning with a harsh, claustrophobic atmosphere, but soon blossoming like a flower into a beautiful song led by her tremulous voice. In comparison, the four songs for 3D are average at best, mere recyclings of the same ideas heard years earlier. That’s satisfaction enough for those who kept Mezzanine near their stereo for years on end, but a disappointment to those expecting another masterpiece.

Holst: The Planets - Mars and Jupiter

White Witch

“You’re The One”

In honor of “The Loner”, who I just heard died unexpectedly 2 weeks ago at the age of 58. :cry:

Well my firend, you certainly are not alone now. You’re in good company . . . those who like you, left us & this world far too early. Thankfully, your music will live on and enrich many a soul for years to come.

(the picture is like a slap to the eyes, huh?)

Artist - Pink Floyd

Album - Atom Heart Mother

Song - Atom Heart Mother

Amazing… Thats all I gotta say!

Artist  - Hans Zimmer

Album - Inception (soundtrack)

Song - Mombasa

Now that’s an idea for a Sunday afternoon, Hans Zimmer.  He has written some very cool stuff for the cinema, hasn’t he?  A modern Jerry Goldsmith.  I like The Ring, a haunting work, and also Crimson Tide.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Selena Gomez  –  Who Says

Hot off the presses . . .

Official release isn’t for a few more days, but I pre-ordered directly brom JB’s website and got it early.

The title track, “Dust Bowl”

A little Martin Taylor, The Odd Couple, from the Kiss and Tell album.  Nice guitar and saxophone work.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6obcN9og5c&feature=related

^ Catchy . . .

Night of the Living Chili Pepper (I play this on my sax, too)

Call a doctor . . . I’ve got a case of those nasty 'ol low down Penicillin Blues (circa 1972).

Oh Maggie, you Good Time Girl, what have you done to me?

I’ll be your Sunset Cowboy.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Eric Johnson - Ah Via Musicom

Cliffs Of Dover (This is from a “live” performance. it starts cookin’ about 3 minutes in)

One of my favorite '70s rockers:

Hooked On Music

(from 1976)

Stevie

(This video is from about 20 years later, so you have to excuse PT. His pipes are gettin’ a little tired.)