Re: Transfering large files

It may just be my windows settings but I thought they did away with that menu with vista. Is it just my settings?
SanDisk Guru

@Tapeworm wrote:

You're in Windows Explorer (or My Computer), right? Up at the top of the screen in the left-hand corner you should see:

File     Edit     View     Favorites     Tools     Help

Click on the Edit; you get a drop-down menu with several choices (Cut, Copy, Paste, etc.). One of these should be Move to Folder...

Then just navigate to your external hard drive (and/or the folder you wish to transfer it to)  and click OK.

It doesn't matter what method is used, as long as the drive is FAT32 it won't be able to store files larger than 4GB. It's a limitation of the file structure.
SanDisk Guru

@sawdustmaker wrote:
It may just be my windows settings but I thought they did away with that menu with vista. Is it just my settings?

Oops! My mistake. I didn't see in your original post where you said you were running Vista.

gwk1967: is it possible to convert an sd card to NTSF?
SanDisk Guru

@sawdustmaker wrote:
Oh, man, I was hoping for a more simple solution. lol  The problem is this: I have 518 GB of movies on the hard drive already and I don't have anything to back them up on. I'm hoping I don't have to copy all my DVD's again. There is a another question I have. After I got my bigger external hard drive I started copying my DVD's directly onto it, but if the movie was bigger than 4GB, it broke it up into two files. So if I do do convert the drive to NTFS, will it quit breaking up the files?

It should. Apparently whatever program you were using to rip your DVDs was "smart" enough to break up the movie when copying to a FAT32 drive, so hopefully it knows not to when copying to an NTFS drive.

SanDisk Guru

@sawdustmaker wrote:
gwk1967: is it possible to convert an sd card to NTSF?

I really don't know. Sorry.

How big a risk is it to convert without backing up your files? I just want to know if I can blame you if I lose all my files. I'm kidding.
SanDisk Guru

There's always some risk when tinkering with a drive's basic structure, but I've personally converted several drives in the past few years without any trouble.

I appreciate your input guys, I'll be back after I've either made a huge mistake or found the solution. lol Thanks for you time.

For a trial conversion I converted a smaller hard drive I have and it worked great. I then proceeded to convert the big drive and received the same results. Thanks for the help, guys.