The Newest Competition

Sony NWZ-1000 Touchscreen Walkman

16GB = $300

32GB = $390

Looks to be about the same size as the e200 series.

No SD card expansion and no FLAC support.

It’s been the subject of much debate…looks cool, and should sound good as most of their current ones do, but apparently the video resolution is going to be a disappointment compared to the competition in it’s price range.

Thats not competition its at a different price point, so some places wont sell it. The serious stuff aside I hope they used the same screen of that blackberry where the screen breakes if you breath too hard, and yeah I heard the video was less than ideal.

$390 for 32gb is obscene. It may have wi-fi internet like the Touch, but it won’t have the app and game development to compete. Set the wi-fi aside it’s still just a music and video player, and although the Sony players have top-notch SQ and features/tweakability, it’s hard to justify paying that kind of price premium. With lightweight, highly portable netbooks now available for $300 (and dropping) offering much more user friendly wi-fi/Internet, paying such a premium for limited usability, small form factor wi-fi is much less appealing.

…Adding, just to be clear, 32gb flash memory retails for under $100 and bulk, wholesale pricing for large manufacturers is probably less than half the retail price. There is no reason why a good quality (Clip, Fuze – hint, hint Sansa) 32gb music player shouldn’t be on the market for well under $200. Why we’re still largely stuck in an 8gb player world (with a few 16gb and the rare 32gb) is beyond me…

This is going to tick apple off and i hope it does. Sansa should make a touchscreen one too.

I have one of the 4GB s616 models and they sound great. I like my Fuze more though! Sony has no no rating system…

@mikeypizano wrote:
I have one of the 4GB s616 models and they sound great. I like my Fuze more though! Sony has no no rating system…

I just can’t see any need for the ratings. Even Windows Media Player, if I have background music playing while I’m at the computer and don’t want to wear headphones, even WMP has the stars on the side that change the more you play certain songs. For someone like me that never auto-syncs, and almost always drags&drops, I see no purpose for the ratings. Is this correct? Do they serve any other purpose?

@marvin_martian wrote:

@mikeypizano wrote:

I just can’t see any need for the ratings. Even Windows Media Player, if I have background music playing while I’m at the computer and don’t want to wear headphones, even WMP has the stars on the side that change the more you play certain songs. For someone like me that never auto-syncs, and almost always drags&drops, I see no purpose for the ratings. Is this correct? Do they serve any other purpose?

Until I started to frequent this forum, I didn’t think anybody used ratings in their players… I stand corrected, I guess.

I have no use for ratings either, as if a song, album or CD is good enough to be placed on the device, I’m pretty sure I like the music contained therein.  If I am curious enough to see which songs I am playing the most, Winamp has a cool chart that lists the songs you play the most.  It also has a chart that shows which, if any, of your selections have never been played.