Something big is coming.....

Tapeworm wrote:

Marvin_Martian wrote:

Do you use one of those cards with a Clip+, or only with a Fuze? And what are your refresh times like?

I bought the 2nd 16GB card just recently for my 8GB Clip+ but only have about 4GB filled on it at present. I’ve been using this as my dedicated FLAC machine. My Fuze has been adopted by my (adult?) daughter who dropped her iPod into an aquarium. The “leaving it in a bag of dry rice for a week” didn’t work. I’ve got a bunch of old TV shows on several memory cards she absconded with also; she likes watching videos on it.

My other 16GB card is full of MP3s; 2133 tracks with approx. 200mb free space (gotta find a couple more albums to fit in there), but it lives in my e280v2 player.

This isn’t a totally accurate measurement, as the Clip+ only has 277 .flac files (so it doesn’t take as long to count them), but I put the loaded 16GB card into the Clip+ and fired it up. Refresh took 5 min, 20 secs. On my e280 (with approx. 1000 .mp3 files on the internal) and the 16GB card, the refresh takes between 7 - 8 min. (it’s been a while since I timed it, so can’t remember exactly).

So the Clip+ maybe a bit quicker, but not by much. These times sound long, but they’re not bad unless you’re changing files (adding or deleting) all the time. Otherwise, I just find something else to do for those few minutes.

That doesn’t sound too bad then. The former owner of my Clip+ spoke of refresh times approaching a half-hour, which is the main reason I haven’t bought one of the 16GB cards.  But of course, I wasn’t there to see for myself how he carried the player around, maybe he jiggled the card enough to trigger a refresh. Now I’m wondering if I should go ahead and buy a 16GB card after all…but I’ll wait and see what the big announcement is first, I guess.

I’m amused by your description of your daughter, btw…:smileyvery-happy: I’m sure my parents have always felt that way about me too.

I buy 16 GB micro SDHC cards like popcorn.  It’s a perfect size for me as it lets me catagorize my music in a way that suits my listening style.  32 GB is a tad too large for my needs, even if I were given them free.  I use the lowepro SD carrying case; it’s small and holds 8 SD or micro SDHC cards easily.  I just simply drop my player, cables and lowepro in my travel case and I’m ready to go.  My collection is pretty much set in place; and I don’t add or delete files from the cards very often, so refresh times are not a big concern of mine.

@JodyL

“Today” is “tomorrow”, depending on where you are in the world.

This is dissapointing to me that sandisk came out with a 32gb micro sdhc card. I wanted them to release a new Sansa mp3 player to make up for the view and to be honest, they are due for 1! I am a loyal sandisk customer and have boughtalmost  every sandisk mp3 player throughout the years and was expecting them to come up with a new one. I have also bought a couple of sandisk micros sdhc cards as well. But let us be honest, Most of us have been buying sandisk products because we like their mp3 players not their miscro sd cards. I dont see many people buying a 32gb micro sdhc card for $200? So I lay dissapointed with this product. Sandisk should listen to its cutomers. What do you guys think

sansablue11 wrote:
This is dissapointing to me that sandisk came out with a 32gb micro sdhc card. I wanted them to release a new Sansa mp3 player to make up for the view and to be honest, they are due for 1! I am a loyal sandisk customer and have boughtalmost  every sandisk mp3 player throughout the years and was expecting them to come up with a new one. I have also bought a couple of sandisk micros sdhc cards as well. But let us be honest, Most of us have been buying sandisk products because we like their mp3 players not their miscro sd cards. I dont see many people buying a 32gb micro sdhc card for $200? So I lay dissapointed with this product. Sandisk should listen to its cutomers. What do you guys think

The 32GB microsdhc card was announced on the 22nd…right on the bottom right of the SanDisk front page. So apparently the announcement will be something else.

http://www.sandisk.com/

Marvin_Martian wrote:

The 32GB microsdhc card was announced on the 22nd…right on the bottom right of the SanDisk front page. So apparently the announcement will be something else.

Nope, that’s it.

Make way for Mighty Gig! :smiley:

Much ado about nothing; for me at least.  I don’t even use the 32 GB full size SDHC cards in my player that supports those.  It’s good that they finally got them released, but I don’t think it warranted all the hoopla that was present on the home page for awhile.

But like the old saying goes; one person’s trash, is another person’s treasure.  I’m sure somebody will be happy about it; off the top of my head, I can’t think of anybody, but I’m sure there is somebody out there that is willing to pay the premium for them.

Tapeworm wrote:

Marvin_Martian wrote:

Nope, that’s it.

Make way for Mighty Gig! :smiley:

Darn…I was all prepared to shell out the cash for a 32GB Fuze+, too…well, now to watch the prices on the 16GB cards a little closer!:wink:

Marvin_Martian wrote:

Darn…I was all prepared to shell out the cash for a 32GB Fuze+, too…

Now, that would be nice! :smiley:

@marvin_martian wrote:

Darn…I was all prepared to shell out the cash for a 32GB Fuze+, too…well, now to watch the prices on the 16GB cards a little closer!:wink:

fuze_owner-GB wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

lol.

I just realized something…the 16GB card might be great, but the Clip+ I’d be using it in gets new content added to it 5-6 days a week…my podcasts! so there’d be no respite from refresh times. So now I just don’t know…buy the card, or not? 

@marvin_martian wrote:

lol.

I just realized something…the 16GB card might be great, but the Clip+ I’d be using it in gets new content added to it 5-6 days a week…my podcasts! so there’d be no respite from refresh times. So now I just don’t know…buy the card, or not? 

Refresh times never have bothered me…maybe they should; but they don’t. 

I always have about 100 other things in my life that need attention, while my player is refreshing.  So, I don’t sit and wait for it to refresh; I do other things.

Bottom line is that if you think that the refresh times will bother you, they probably will.  But, if you are like me and never worry about it, it won’t be a concern.

fuze_owner-GB wrote:

I always have about 100 other things in my life that need attention, while my player is refreshing.  So, I don’t sit and wait for it to refresh; I do other things.

+1

Tapeworm wrote:

fuze_owner-GB wrote:

+1

It certainly never bothered me with my Fuze when I had it, but that was a 4GB plus 8GB card. I guess I’ll add the card to my Amazon wishlist and track the prices, and see where it stands.

Message Edited by TomJensen on 05-03-2010 05:55 PM

Tom…

Gee…I don’t know about that…

I use my Fuse for audio only (podcasts and music) and for keeping some photos to show friends and relatives things I’ve been doing with the family.

I have no use for video or the other stuff from my Fuse.

I’m thinking of getting something like the Dell Mini 5 when it comes out for all that other stuff but I really don’t think that it will not replace my Fuse for pure portability (I have no need for web browsing or any of that other stuff when I’m walking the dog, exercising at the gym or driving the car).

Just my 2 cents…

I never used my Fuze for video either.

@JodyL

I understand that we as consumers have a wide range of wants. I was speaking of the mainstream, which is Sansa’s demographic. From a strictly business viewpoint, it makes sense for Sansa to embrace the “more functions” route, since more functions (especially more video) -> more demands for larger flash capacity. That’s Sandisk’s bread-and-butter.

Another point I’d make is that our tastes evolve along with the technology, even if we aren’t aware of it. You said that you use the Fuze for audio only (podcasts & music). Well, a few years back, there was no such thing as podcasts. And now podcasts are starting to be integrated with video. You also mentioned that you keep photos to share with others. What if videos were just as easily shared? Wouldn’t that be better than pictures? Most consumer digicams have good video capabilities now.

Even if you don’t think these apply to your personal situation, you see the rationale. Video is becoming more pervasive.

You made a good point about portability, i.e. size. A device capable of video would be larger than an audio-only device, especially one capable for viable web-browsing.

But that doesn’t have to be true. Take the Fuze’s 2"x3" form factor, which is eminently portable (I prefer the term pocketable, as it’s a little more specific). Here’s a simple change to make it into a capable video unit: Put the scroll wheel and whatever buttons needed on the back of the device. Stretch the LCD edge-to-edge and you’ll have a 3.6" diag screen, which is good enough for WVGA resolution. A ‘pocketable’ form-factor can be slightly longer (e.g. Nano), say, 2x4, and still retain the same portability.

Marvin_Martian wrote:

Neither have a lot of the people who come here . . . just look at the number of posts in the Sansa Media Converter board. :smileyvery-happy:

Tapeworm wrote:

Marvin_Martian wrote:

Neither have a lot of the people who come here . . . just look at the number of posts in the Sansa Media Converter board. :smileyvery-happy:

I vaguely remember, when I first got the Fuze, trying to load a 12 minute video podcast on it with the SMC, and it took almost 9 minutes to do it! At that point, I said,“this is just silly, and not worth it on a 1.9” screen" .:wink: