Sandisk's MP3 players

I’ve been a fan of Sandisk products for several years, the flash drives, the SD cards, now the players.  I agree about the video issue, I use my Zen Vision:M for video, the Fuze is passable, but I don’t think I could watch a full movie on it.

I think the thinness is probably to make it easier to pocket, and the extra width makes for a larger display.  I had a Sandisk DAP, the red 256MB model, and it was not pocket friendly.  The Express is better, but I hardly notice the Fuze in my shirt pocket.

On the issue of the battery, I wish someone would go the way that HP/Compaq did on the iPaqs.  I had a 3650 that was “sealed”, the battery could only be replaced by opening the device using a small (read:hard to find) Torx driver.  I bought a 2490 and it has an easily removable battery.  It’s still proprietary to keep the device flat, but it is easy to remove.  Spares/replacements are readily available from HP.  I would like to see a player in the View/Fuze class that could do that.  I have a Rio Nitrus with a failing battery, and I just don’t know if it’s worth the money/trouble to replace it.

The thing with the proprietary connector is tough.  USB doesn’t have the pins for much more than data transfer.  Motorola’s RAZR does manage stereo headphones through a USB connector, and some HTC-made phones are able to charge while listening to music, but only through the use of a splitter.  That’s another little part to lose.  Like others have suggested, I’d like to see a combination of USB and A/V connectors.  But unlike the Vision:M I’d like to see it done without an extra dongle. 

It’s hard to analyze “Fuze vs. SM Player” in terms of audio.  I have a particular couple of songs that I use to compare earphones, but I can’t really tell the difference in players.  The SM Player is definitely heavier.

As for iPod, I can’t believe they don’t have a radio.  Even Sony’s MiniDisc players had radios.  The one I have has FM, TV (useless after Feb '09, I know), Weather, and even AM.  If it just *didn’t* have SonicStage.  I have it for the novelty as well, I did rip a CD to one of the MiniDiscs, and it came out OK.  But I don’t think my Fuze has anything to worry about from it.