SanDisk Guru

Remember when we used to use cassette tapes?

I did a bit of math. It seems as though a cassette tape is around 450 times the size of a micro SDHC card(is my math correct? I don't have 450 micro SDHC cards to stack up Smiley Happy That many cards could hold around 65,000 hours of music at 256 kbps vs under 2 hours for the cassete tape! I think these numbers are amazing. I also remember that 9 years ago a 64 meg compact flash card was $200. So that was around $3 a meg. Now 32 GB cards are around $2.50 per GB. So the cost perGB was 1200 times what it is now just 9 years ago! Will flash memory cards be $2.10 a terabyte 9 years from now?  What will we store on 32 tearabyte flash memory cards?

Will we have 1,000 megapixel digital cameras? Smiley Happy

SanDisk Fanatic

Re: Remember when we used to use cassette tapes?

"Will we have 1,000 megapixel digital cameras?"

lol Probably. But the average user will still need NO MORE then 7 MP's.

Smiley Wink

30 years ago I was assembling and burning machine code onto 2K eprom's and selling them for $90.   30 years from now humanity will probably be seeing hand held computers with 1000 terabytes of storage (and be wishing for more).
SanDisk Guru

Let's thread up this one...

A loaded 10 1/2 NAB reel is a thing of beauty, but it is quite heavy.  Until digital became affordable, and the resolution improved to match (I remember when a CD mastering console (PWM encoder) was over $30,000), this was the only way to archive an LP properly.

I'm looking forward to the future SanDisk flash cards.  That day isn't too far in the future.

Bob  Smiley Very Happy 

SanDisk Professor

The hits-home way of looking at it is that 9-10 years ago we were complaining how expensive it was for a card (or internal memory) that would even hold 1 whole album of 128 kb/s mp3.