Highlighted
SanDisk Professor
Accepted Solution

New version of Windows Media Player does not support ripping mp3...suggestions?

My home computer crashed and needed to be rebuilt with new os.  So I received the machine back with what I assume is a more recent release of Windows XP.  New but, as usual with MicroSofty, not improved.  Now they apparenty realize they do not make money from mp3 format and just stopped supporting it.  (imagine if Nikon stopped supporting jpeg format?  )They try to convince you how fantastic their new WMA file format is, and the make you go hunt for a bolt-on app that will actually rip mp3.  And where they send you does not even have an app to do this, that I can see. 

I have Lame installed but that won't allow rips of mp3 either.

Any suggestions?

SanDisk Guru

Re: New version of Windows Media Player does not support ripping mp3...suggestions?

Uninstall WMP. Then Go to their Website and download and install that version. It has Mp3 Ripping (Last time I checked)

Conversion Box
Did you notice this forum has a search function? Its not impossible to figure that someone else asked your question before you did, and we have answered it(probably multiple times). Check it out! Or Check out the Knowledge Base

SanDisk Guru

Re: New version of Windows Media Player does not support ripping mp3...suggestions?

blackdog-sansa wrote:

My home computer crashed and needed to be rebuilt with new os.  So I received the machine back with what I assume is a more recent release of Windows XP.

What version is it? WMP11 looks entirely different from WMP 10, and is quite confusing to navigate when you're used to the older version, but ripping to .mp3 format should still be there.

SanDisk Fanatic

RIGHT CLICK the little back bar uptop. Choose> SHOW CLASSIC MENUS or something like that. That should make it look a little more like WMP10.

I remember there was a version of WMP that did not rip MP3's. 11 most certainly does, though. Make sure ALL, repeat ALL your Windows Updates have been done. Do the optional ones, too. Install and reboot until Win Update tells you there are NO MORE updates.

wmp 10.00.00.5048

I'm a bit vague on exactly where to to to obtain the updates.  

Should I REALLY uninstall WMP?  I thought that it was fairly deeply imbedded into Windows.

SanDisk Fanatic

No.

Go here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/11/default.aspx

Install ELEVEN "on top of" 10. You have TEN.

blackdog-sansa wrote:

wmp 10.00.00.5048

I'm a bit vague on exactly where to to to obtain the updates.  

Should I REALLY uninstall WMP?  I thought that it was fairly deeply imbedded into Windows.

Just go to Microsoft.com and Search for WMP11, it will take care of the process.

Conversion Box
Did you notice this forum has a search function? Its not impossible to figure that someone else asked your question before you did, and we have answered it(probably multiple times). Check it out! Or Check out the Knowledge Base

SanDisk Professor

Is 11 better than 10?  Does 10 have issues with ripping mp3? 

I guess at the root of if I don't understand why the stock "10" won't allow ripping to mp3.

I will take the advice Conversion...just curious as to what's up.

SanDisk Guru

It may be such a thing as the version you had installed was corrupt or incomplete. It could also be that your pc didnt recognize the drivers. What I would try is updating to 11, and if that works roll back to 10 (If you like it better) and then see if you could rip.

Conversion Box

SanDisk Fanatic

There was once a version where you had to manually install the LAME codec. I thought that was a LONG time ago, but maybe it was 10?

Regardless, 11 > 10. Install it already, and get to ripping. Smiley Wink