I've finally made the plunge.....

@neutron_bob wrote:

Sounds like you have found the limitation in that curve between processing power, and power consumption.  How about one of these?

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

If I have to add that as an accessory for my SGP, I will have to carry around a purse as big as this:

:wink:

@mags1230 wrote:

I see that you’re in airplane mode.  I tried that for a couple of days and really can’t tell if it made any difference in battery life.  I’m doing too many different things on my SGP to be able to test it.  I just turn off whatever I can, including active apps, to help conserve battery.  Those things that aren’t needed but that still run in the background are like little energy vampires.  lol  In the beginning I thought the max battery hours were huge, but with playing music, videos, games, surfing the net, and downloading stuff, the battery gets used up really fast.

I think the airplane mode helps…it turns off stuff like bluetooth, etc. than can ■■■■ a little battery. You can still enable wifi in airplane mode, as well. With airplane engaged, and wifi only occasionally engaged, the battery seems to last a long time for me. As you may have noticed, it takes a long time to charge that huge battery too! I’ve only used mine at home so far, so I have the brightness down at about 1/3. When I watched the movie  the other day, I kept it plugged in…I have a six-foot USB extension cable so I was able to keep it plugged into the AC power.

Marvin_Martian wrote:

As you may have noticed, it takes a long time to charge that huge battery too!

Yes, I have.  It takes so long that, often, I charge it even though only a small amount of power has been used.  

@mags1230 wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

As you may have noticed, it takes a long time to charge that huge battery too!

Yes, I have.  It takes so long that, often, I charge it even though only a small amount of power has been used.  

Not me…although it sounds like maybe you have more time to play with your SGP than I do with mine. Also, I have a 1000mA USB wall charger that I plug into…seems to work a little faster than the Samsung 700mA one does. I don’t worry about charging it unless I get down to 50%.

One of my favs.  The details are nice and sharp unless there’s some very fast action going on.  :smiley:

mags1230 , I’m guessing your lock screen looks a little bit different than mine…:laughing:

How’d you get that picture of my wife? :stuck_out_tongue:

@tapeworm wrote:

How’d you get that picture of my wife? :stuck_out_tongue:

If that’s your wife then why in the hell are you always here? :laughing:

@marvin_martian wrote:

mags1230 , I’m guessing your lock screen looks a little bit different than mine…:laughing:

You guessed right.  I’m not interested in pictures of beautiful women on my lock screen nor on my wallpaper.   And I’m not interested in having a picture of Tapeworm’s wife either . :wink:  I have the 3D Live Koi Pond Screensaver on my lock screen.  :smiley:

Marvin_Martian’s signature: 

Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0, Clip Zip 20GB (rockboxed), 32GB iPod Touch 4th-gen, Clip Zip 40GB(rockboxed), Fuze+ 16GB
iBasso T5 and FiiO E6 amps. FiiOE3 and PA2V2 amps gathering dust.

Marv, is that a fuze+ that I see in your sig?  :dizzy_face:

@mags1230 wrote:

Marvin_Martian’s signature:

Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0, Clip Zip 20GB (rockboxed), 32GB iPod Touch 4th-gen, Clip Zip 40GB(rockboxed), Fuze+ 16GB
iBasso T5 and FiiO E6 amps. FiiOE3 and PA2V2 amps gathering dust.

Marv, is that a fuze+ that I see in your sig?  :dizzy_face:

Indeed it is! I have a friend that goes thorugh a lot of gear, as do I, and we do lots of trades and transactions. So I traded him one of my two grey 8GB Clip Zips (it was aggravating having two identical Zips, because I was always grabbing the wrong one when I left the house) for the Fuze+. I figured I had bashed the thing enough that I should give it a try so that I wasn’t totally talking out of my butt. And hey, it is the 16GB model after all.

The touchpad controls are very sensitive indeed…but after playing with my Touch and SGP, I’ve become a little more adept at that type of interface. The Fuze+ is a pure shuffle player for me. I went through and loaded a lot of music on it today, but not whole albums where I might want to skip songs…just the favorites from each album. So after getting my other settings in place, now if I use it I can simply press play and lock the screen. It sounds nice, as I expect from my Sansas, and it is a sexy-looking piece of hardware in black.

I tried Rockbox on it for about 10 minutes, and removed it…it is not ready yet. It was even harder to control!:dizzy_face:

@mags1230 wrote:

Rockbox looks good on the SGP. :smiley:

I may eventually root my SGP, and try Voodoo.  I don’t know much about it yet except that they exist.  lol  If I do, it wouldn’t be until after my warranty is up.   I want to keep my OS the way it is for now and just enjoy it…although Go Launcher EX seems to want to take over.  lol

Well, I rooted the other day…went smoothly, until in my new uneducated freedom, I decided to uninstall some factory bloatware, and I uninstalled something that was very critical, it seems…suddenly, I couldn’t do anything!:cry:

Luckily for me, someone posted a fabulous little guide that allowed me to not only restore, but even do more.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68294

If it looks like a lot of stuff that’s over your head, don’t feel bad, I felt the same way! :dizzy_face: But by following it closely, now my player is restored, and I daresay slightly upgraded. Moral of the story…rooting itself is fine, just be careful what you do after you root! :wink:

Marvin_Martian wrote:

Well, I rooted the other day…went smoothly, until in my new uneducated freedom, I decided to uninstall some factory bloatware, and I uninstalled something that was very critical, it seems…suddenly, I couldn’t do anything!:cry:

Luckily for me, someone posted a fabulous little guide that allowed me to not only restore, but even do more.

If it looks like a lot of stuff that’s over your head, don’t feel bad, I felt the same way! :dizzy_face: But by following it closely, now my player is restored, and I daresay slightly upgraded. Moral of the story…rooting itself is fine, just be careful what you do after you root! :wink:

Oh no.  :dizzy_face:  That was a close call.  Glad you were able to fix it.  I read a little about rooting and it looked too technical for me to root and then even if I did successfully root, using it to it’s advantages seemed way over my head.  It’ll take more time to learn how and what can be done with a rooted device than I want to spend right now. 

Sometimes I forget that the SGP is really more like a mini-computer then just a media player.  Even the sd card has to be unmounted on the device before it’s taken out.

@mags1230 wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

Oh no.  :dizzy_face:  That was a close call.  Glad you were able to fix it.  I read a little about rooting and it looked too technical for me to root and then even if I did successfully root, using it to it’s advantages seemed way over my head.  It’ll take more time to learn how and what can be done with a rooted device than I want to spend right now. 

Sometimes I forget that the SGP is really more like a mini-computer then just a media player.  Even the sd card has to be unmounted on the device before it’s taken out.

I always got in the habit with my Sansas of turning the player off before removing or inserting a card…maybe it’s not always necessary, but it makes me feel safe, anyways…lol.

@marvin_martian wrote:

@mags1230 wrote:

I tried PowerAmp and it’s awesome!  :smileyvery-happy:  It even vastly improved the sound from the speakers  :dizzy_face:  which I didn’t think was possible.  Almost all of the tinniness is gone. :smiley:  Well worth buying.

I’m trying out PowerAmp for the free trial… I really like it so far.:heart:

I’ve just downloaded Equalizer and like it so far.   I listen to music alot through the speakers and having Equalizer on while using Poweramp made the sound better.  It got fuller and richer.  A good app to have.  :smiley:  I haven’t tried PlayerPro yet.

They’re spawning now…:dizzy_face::laughing:

The family…

Very nice.  Next time I’m at a Best Buy, I’ll have to play with the Samsungs on display.   I just have to make sure I leave my credit card at home so I wouldn’t be tempted to get something.  :wink:

So I installed the SpeedTest.Net app, and gave it a whirl.  Keep in mind this is with an older wireless router, and me upstairs and at the other end of the house…at some point I’ll have to stand next to the router and try this again…lol.

I recently made the plunge myself too with my Sony PSP3001 (3000 model) by getting a 32 microSD card and a Memory Stick Pro Duo adapter (I would have bought a 32 GB Memory Stick Pro Duo, but the prices of those are still kind of steep to me).

I loaded 9GB of music to it and imported 8GB of Games to it with Sony’s Media Go software…I can announce that this software can also see my Clip+ in MSC mode so I also put a whole lot of music on that too (but the latter is beyond the point of what this post is about).

Nice to hear that from you bud. Let us know on how it goes for you.