Best music download site?

@jehr wrote:
So, basically no progress in the industry in the last several years.  I tend to hit indy music stores and buy used CDs so I can rip them into a lossless format.  I’d love to download instead, but I’m not buying to download the ■■■■ they’re offering.  I did come across one site called Music Giants or something like that, and they have WMA-lossless (even though it’s not really lossless…).  Most of the good stuff has DRM though, although they do have a very limited selection of DRM free music.  They want like $20 per album though…I’d rather rip my own lossless DRM-free versions for around $5-8.

Im in the Industry and I cansay yes we are making progress. The label I am with now is making huge strides towards DRM free, low costing lossless music. Some of it will be offered via flash drives which you can buy or thru Digital download by Years end. We are experimenting with OGG and FLAC files right now, but have not made a decission on which if not both we will release. I actually had a meeting this morning to discuss bitrates and quality for these releases. Those of us on the production end want high quality files, but Management wants something in the middle of the road, (So most people get it, We producers want 320kbps [if these were mp3] and management wants 192 kbps [again if these we mp3]). No decissions have been made but its definitally on its way.