Highlighted

why did you mess up the sansa fuze???

So i literally registered and came on here just so i can fully complain about the new Sansa Fuze Plus. It is literally that bad. I used to own the previous sansa fuze with the scroll wheel and the small size. So it breaks accidentally I go to get a new one and i see this new "iphone" looking contraption with touch front. First off, the sensors on the front arrows are so incredablly sensitive that whenever it bumps my hand the songs stops, changes or something irritating. then the sansa takes fforever to turn on or to switch screens because of the amount of new design in it its not strong enough to change as quickly as the previous. on top of that scrolling is a bitch. I would scroll up or down and accidentally slightly touch the side and the entire screen changes, then when i go back it resets back to the top of my artist list and i am in a bad mood. The charger is different and the size is different so i cannot use any of my previous sansa equiptment. LAME. Another irritating quality is the fact the LOCK feature isnt a switch on the side but you hold down the touch pad. WTF? to unlock you slide up. so when its locked and in my hand and my hand happens to "slide up" it unlocks and the song changes in the middle cus it hit my palm. i have never been so irritated with an mp3 player ever except this one SUCKS. Please go back to the original sansa fuze when it was actually handy. thanks.

Highlighted
SanDisk User

Re: why did you mess up the sansa fuze???

Sorry to say, but you didn't even need to bother registering to make your lengthy complaint/rant, as every single one of your points have been made by numerous users.  I have had the Fuze+ since early September, and I have not been shy about registering my complaints, many of which match some of your own including overly sensitive controls, the annoying lock feature, sluggish UI, etc.  But I still use it and enjoy it, even more than the original Fuze, which was great, but is no more, I have moved on.  There is plenty of room for complaints and suggestions, but why bother wasting your time coming on here and trashing it completely?  I hope the crew continually working to update the Fuze+ listen to some of our complaints and suggestions, but coming on here to say how much you hate the Fuze+ and how much you want the Fuze back is not helpful at all.  There are still Fuze's everywhere to be found on the internet and even in a number of retail stores that still sell them--they've got your name all over it. 

Highlighted

Re: why did you mess up the sans fuzz???

I agree!! I really hate the new sans fuzz plus!! I mostly use the sans because i listen to audiobooks. i get 90% of my audiobooks from my online library system. they are wma format. i had a heck of a problem with trying to get the audiobook in the audiobook file and when i did, it saw each section as a new book! and it wont save your place in any book unless its from audible!!! i'm sooooo angry!! i loved the old fuze and i'm returning this plus one tomorrow and going to find and buy the old one. i don't know what im going to do when they can't be found anymore!!!!!! sometimes i hate it when they come out with new stuff cause its sometimes crap!!!!!

Highlighted

THE new sansa fuze plus design is awesome and very attractive. Keep it up sandisk, it loooks great. and the screen is waaay better and looks more modern and very updated. im very pleased!!

Highlighted

The reason people (like myself) get on here to complain is 1) to alert other consumers that this new version is a major step backward and should be avoided and 2) to try to get the desperate need for changes through the apparently thick skulls of Sansa software developers, who should have produced a better design from the get go.

I confess I am amused at the people who think that consumers should be happy with a half-baked product, which may, just may get better in the future. 

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

[ Edited ]

@hammett wrote:

The reason people (like myself) get on here to complain is 1) to alert other consumers that this new version is a major step backward and should be avoided and 2) to try to get the desperate need for changes through the apparently thick skulls of Sansa software developers, who should have produced a better design from the get go.

I confess I am amused at the people who think that consumers should be happy with a half-baked product, which may, just may get better in the future. 

And I'm amused at people that think I shouldn't like the fuze+ just because they don't.... Smiley Tongue

"Before I sink into the big sleep...I want to hear the scream of the Butterfly"
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

The best solution is to have a little of both worlds.

For a wee handy machine that travels about anywhere, the Clip+ is great.  If I feel like a bigger machine, the Fuze or e200v2 come along, and most recently, the Fuze+ has been a lot of fun.

Every machine has both its advantages- and its faults, depending upon the situation I'm in.  The touch sensitive control pad is really fun to navigate, but it is very sensitive.  You can't just plop the machine in your pocket unless you lock the control, as it responds to your fingers while you reach into that pocket.

Overall, the form factor and big screen of the Fuze+ are great, I love video on the device.  The Fuze+ is very new, and it's my hope that refinements will make it even better.  We have seen this with about every previous Sansa device, as they evolved into favorites for many users.

Bob  Smiley Tongue

Highlighted

I've had a Fuze+ since November. This is the 2nd MP3 player I've owned in the last 8 years. My 1st came with an 8MB compact flash and took AA batteries and I've only just stopped using it because my eyesight means I can't read the screen in the dark (allthough I could turn it on, and resume with my eyes closed).

In terms of basic functionality, pause,lock,power on and navigation my ancient model beats the Fuze+ hands down. Yes when the Fuze+ is locked (you can't really move at all with it unlocked!!!) the sound quality is great. However day to day usability is pretty terrible.

Yes we all hope that Sandisk do sort out the problems, but it's pretty pathetic that a product can actually be launched with all these issues. I spent 20 years in Software development and most of these problems are bugs pure and simple which should have been caught in testing/QA.

It's a product which has been overtaken by it's marketing hype and a desire to appear flash/sexy rather than work.

I defy anyone to state that they can get the touchpad to do exactly what they want even 95% of the time. (my hit rate is about 25%).

I can't quite equate the random behaviour I associate with the touchpad as "fun". Maybe if you like it to pick the album you want to listen to rather than you.

I have yet to write my review on Amazon(.co.uk) but it's only had 6 reviews and is averaging 3.5/5 and has received no 5s yet.

If it needs us disillusioned customers to start writing accurate reviews to prompt Sansa to actually fix the problems then lets do it.

Oh yes. We have a Clip+, which is better for many things - but I can't read the small screen in the dark otherwise the Fuze+

Highlighted

I am getting used to the Fuze+; had the Fuze before.  I use it mostly for audiobooks. I mostly like it; sensitivity requires learning, but is a skill you can master. 

My Q: Is there a trick to using resume in an audiobook chapter so it doesn't go back to the beginning of the chapter?  I have to note the counter location so when it resumes but at the beginning I have to ff to the correct position in chapter; this was easier to do in the Fuze.

Highlighted
SanDisk User

Why has no one informed this poster that some of the issues mentioned have been fixed by newer firmware releases?  Please update the firmware before deciding how much you really dislike the product.  The newer firmware will not address all of your concerns but it will fix some.  There is a feedback and feature request thread that you should also mention your problems on.