uSD songs need licensing - how do I do that?

I transferred my uSD card from my Clip+ to my new ClipZip.  Unfortunately, the ClipZip won’t play them because they need to be licensed.  I’ve tried doing that within Rhapsody but it doesn’t help.  Any better ideas?

This is a limitation of the WMDRM (Windows Media DRM) system used by Rhapsody and others.

I swap microSD cards between devices routinely; the individual music files transferred for one device have separate licenses based upon the device the micro SD (Secure Digital) card was mounted in for the transfer.  The card allows you to store protected media on the card, a major plus, but the files are licensed only for the device it was transferred with.

It’s handy that several different devices can share the card, but the protected media is keyed to the individual devices.

Bob :stuck_out_tongue:

Bob,

Thanks for the reply.  Is there any way to transfer the licensing to my new ClipZip?  I have about 13G worth of Rhapsody song files.  My old Clip+ no longer works due to a defective headphone jack.  Do I need to “bite the bullet” and reload everything?

Paul

@tokadap wrote:

Bob,

Thanks for the reply.  Is there any way to transfer the licensing to my new ClipZip?  I have about 13G worth of Rhapsody song files.  My old Clip+ no longer works due to a defective headphone jack.  Do I need to “bite the bullet” and reload everything?

Paul

Yes . . . after you first de-authorize the Clip+ which is no longer operational and authorize the new Clip Zip.

Aren’t rent-a-track subscription music services fun and convenient? :stuck_out_tongue:

The tracks and licensing issue isn’t unique to Rhapsody, it’s a Windows Media thing.  Rhapsody has a unique format, RAX , used on the Rhapsody e200 players, where the player itself has the license.  The newer system is Microsoft’s design, actually.

If the earlier player is the only one authorized, it’s easy to pick the authorization up under Manage Devices in the Rhapsody 4 client- if it is a dead device that can’t be deauthorized.

Delete the files from the card, then retransfer using Rhapsody.  With the Rhapsody client, you can pull the tracks as a stream from their server, or cache a backup copy on your hard drive, making it faster for future transfers if need be-this depends upon whether you wish to dedicate drive space on your PC for this.

The cool thing with Rhapsody is that you have access to the entire library of music at-will, versus zorching your credit card at-will using iTunes.  I use both systems, there are tradeoffs with either one.  Some trades are pretty amusing.  For purchased content, Rhapsody and iTunes have non-DRM media available, but Rhapsody uses a convenient “shopping cart” system that you confirm prior to purchase.  With iTunes, you’re on your own, Cowboy!  Good luck fixing an inadvertent mis-click, or an iTunes “super secret bonus” purchase (it does that now and again).

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@neutron_bob wrote:

The cool thing with Rhapsody is that you have access to the entire library of music at-will, versus zorching your credit card at-will using iTunes.  I use both systems, there are tradeoffs with either one.  Some trades are pretty amusing.  For purchased content, Rhapsody and iTunes have non-DRM media available, but Rhapsody uses a convenient “shopping cart” system that you confirm prior to purchase.  With iTunes, you’re on your own, Cowboy!  Good luck fixing an inadvertent mis-click, or an iTunes “super secret bonus” purchase (it does that now and again).

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

That is easily prevented by not ever putting your credit card number into iTunes.:stuck_out_tongue:

Use one of those gift cards available everywhere you go to activate the iTunes account, and the only funds available are the amount of the gift card.  I’ve managed to not buy any music from iTunes since January when I bought my Touch…I’ve spent maybe a total of $30 on apps and games, that’s it. My current balance on the iTunes account is $0.30, and it has been that way for a couple of months now…lol.

I found the same solution for my daughters- but iTunes will zap the balance from the gift card just as fast. Annoying, to say the least.

Bob  :angry:

@neutron_bob wrote:

I found the same solution for my daughters- but iTunes will zap the balance from the gift card just as fast. Annoying, to say the least.

Bob  :angry:

Are  your daughters clicking in and buying stuff while Daddy’s at work? :dizzy_face: Kids are clever these days. :wink:

No, actually, here’s the crazy part.  I installed iTunes on the netbook, as it’s handy for working with the AAC-encoded files I test on the Fuze+ and Clip Zip.  This way, I can transfer, run about, and make changes without needing a base PC.

So, for iTunes, I just hand them the netbook, rather than installing iTunes on any of the other computers.

A few times, as one of my daughters is sitting next to me, they note that iTunes just decided that they’d like a particular tune, making a purchase while searching for music.  iTunes has no confirmation screen, it just tosses the download out to you.  Then you are pestered by the Ping screen, oh bother.  I haven’t ben able to replicate the keystroke or mouse movement that does it as yet.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

@neutron_bob wrote:

No, actually, here’s the crazy part.  I installed iTunes on the netbook, as it’s handy for working with the AAC-encoded files I test on the Fuze+ and Clip Zip.  This way, I can transfer, run about, and make changes without needing a base PC.

So, for iTunes, I just hand them the netbook, rather than installing iTunes on any of the other computers.

A few times, as one of my daughters is sitting next to me, they note that iTunes just decided that they’d like a particular tune, making a purchase while searching for music.  iTunes has no confirmation screen, it just tosses the download out to you.  Then you are pestered by the Ping screen, oh bother.  I haven’t ben able to replicate the keystroke or mouse movement that does it as yet.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, Ping can be disabled in one of the option menus…but as far as the music downloads, I guess it’s a good thing I’ve never searched for music on there…lol