slotRadio Firmware Upgrade

slotRadio Firmware 01.01.18

slotRadio Firmware 01.01.18 - Click here to Download

• Ensure your battery is > 50% full.
  • Extract the .zip file into a folder on your computer.
  • Once extracted, slide the power switch to the off position, ensure your slotRadio card is inserted in the slotRadio Player and connect your slotRadio Player to the computer via the USB cable.
  • Drag the file to the root directory of your slotRadio card.
  • Disconnect the slotRadio Player and slide the power switch to the play position.
  • The firmware upgrade will start automatically.
  • Once the upgrade finishes, press and hold the Play/Skip button and the Volume down button for several seconds and verify the firmware version is 01.01.18.

Sansa slotRadio Player Firmware 01.01.18 Release Notes

This new firmware has various bug fixes, including key fixes listed below, as well as enhancements. Upon completion of the firmware upgrade, the device will turn back on and resume playing.  If the device does not initiate or complete firmware upgrade, slide the button to OFF position & wait for 10 seconds to reset the device and then slide the button back to PLAY or FM mode to restart.

Enhancements:

oMaximum number of channels can be displayed is increased to 20

oReplay gain algorithm implementation with Fast ID3 parsing 

oOLED turns off after 5 minutes of inactivity & device turns off after 30 minutes of inactivity

oFade in and out was implemented for charging screen in OFF mode against OLED burn out

Bugs Fixed:

oDevice behaves incorrectly for folders over 200

oDevice can’t play FLAC files with padding removes and 440hz tone isn’t audible

oOGG track caused player to behave erratically & might crash

oChirp at the end of mp3 file

Known Issues:

oDisk Erase Failed - Formatting fails under Macintosh system 

oThe top of the song title is blended with the background when it goes into screen saver mode 

oHigh bit rate file playback slower as compared to playback in PC 

Message Edited by slotmonsta on 12-02-2009 03:10 PM

Silly question … maybe … but I use a Mac. Will I be able to run the Firmware Upgrade, or will I need access to a PC?

firmware upgrade is drag and drop so should be no issue doing it from a mac

Oops! My mistake. That is listed in the original post. I was also looking at the Fuze and using it for Slot Radio. That appears to be a Windows only thing. I also noticed in the main post, the known issue that formatting fails under Macintosh system. The problem might be that by default, formatting is done in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) instead of MS-DOS (FAT). I use a SanDisk Cruzer and can format it either way. It must be formatted using MS-DOS (FAT) to be used in Windows. It is also important to make sure the Partition Map Scheme is Master Boot Record and not GUID Partition Table.

If you have trouble connecting the slotRadio player to your Mac or PC, as I had and still have, you can copy the firmware file (STANZAV010118.bin in this case) to the microSD[HC] card by another means, insert the card into the player (which perhaps should be off, though it may not matter) and slide the switch on the player to Play. Except for the extra step of putting the firmware on the card and then moving the card to the player, it’s as described above.

when i move firmware upgrade to card root direcrory it wants me to format card? what do i do about that?

Does this fix the “RDS” or “RBDS” for the FM radio? The SlotRadio will show the station’s call letters and song titles on stations so equipped, but I get two stations with West Coast “K” callsigns when they should be East Coast “W” callsigns.  Did that get fixed, or is that something for the next firmware update??

It is interesting that Slotradio player can get a firmware upgrade if the firmware file is on the micro SDHC card inserted into the player. It would be nice if the Fuze and Clip+ could also get a firmware upgrade this way. Sometimes a player might not be able to connect to a pc, and being able to reload the firmware without connecting might solve some problems.

This new FIRMWARE “FIX” does NOT do what it says.  It does NOT shut off the device after 30 minutes of no button pushes - mine ran all night, so they did not fix that; nor did they fix the top edge of the text being trimmed on screen saver.

They also need to fix their RDS station ID’s which are wrong for 2 of 6 FM stations I’ve checked locally.

So even though it says I have the new firmware level, it didn’t fix the issues that it claims to fix. :frowning:

johnnyelectron wrote:

This new FIRMWARE “FIX” does NOT do what it says.  It does NOT shut off the device after 30 minutes of no button pushes - mine ran all night, so they did not fix that; nor did they fix the top edge of the text being trimmed on screen saver.

They also need to fix their RDS station ID’s which are wrong for 2 of 6 FM stations I’ve checked locally.

So even though it says I have the new firmware level, it didn’t fix the issues that it claims to fix. :frowning:

I just read the first post in the thread again and no where did I see it claim to fix any of that. If you dont see it specifically on there then it didnt happen.

It does make the claim, and I quote:

"Enhancements:…

o OLED turns off…& device turns off after 30 minutes of inactivity"

I take that to mean that it will shut off after 30 minutes with no button presses?

My unit will run for 8 hours with NO button presses - I thought this firmware update was supposed to turn it off after 30 minutes? Instead, it’s killing my built-in battery.

Anybody else have this issue with their SlotRadio?

@johnnyelectron wrote:

It does make the claim, and I quote:

"Enhancements:…

o OLED turns off…& device turns off after 30 minutes of inactivity"

I take that to mean that it will shut off after 30 minutes with no button presses?

No, it means it will turn off if 30 minutes pass without any button presses AND it’s not playing anything. Most people would be annoyed if they chose to listen to an album/playlist/etc. and the player decided to shut itself off just because no buttons had been pressed in a while.