sansa wont connect to computer

I connected my sansa to my computer in msc mode today.  Again, the computer recognized it and when I clicked on Open my computer hung up.   I figured the player was just too full because I got the message “please free 4MB” which is why I connected it to the computer in the first place and encountered the problem and, because when I press the shut down button on the player and turn it off, while it’s still connected to the computer, the computer starts to function. 

I ended up trying to add legacy software and was using the wizard to try and do this and find the software on ‘my disk that came with the device’ when I came across the user manual and read that you can delete files at the player by pressing the ‘select’ button when a song is playing, thereby freeing up space.  I tried this, deleting one file and viola, when I connected my sansa to my computer I could open it, select my files and transfer them to CD! lol   

I removed it from my computer again and the player works just as before, although now empty. 

I do get a message that says Finalizing Update, which I recognize as happening regularly

I remember reading somewhere that you cannot fill the player completely as it needs room for the database and playlists to function and the problem with FAT occurs.  Obviously it was too full hence the message.

My device shows up under ‘Portable Devices’ in the Device Manager in Windows Vista and is present by name as Sansa m230 and MSC is the mode I’m using. 

The problem obviously is ‘doesn’t matter’ the device is too full.