sansa wont connect to computer

Chill. It was just a joke.

@vistacruiser wrote:

My sansa m230 wont connect either.  when I plug it in forced mtp mode (hold) the computer recognizes it but then if I as so much as right click it will cause the computer to hang. 

This actually forces MSC mode. There is no way to force an MTP mode connection. Have you tried a different cable? Maybe the one you’re using is worn out, or a wire or pin inside has broken and is shorting out, causing the computer to hang up when connected.

@vistacruiser wrote:

I can pull up other menus in the start menu and _ I can use the device when I pull it out of the computer.  It starts up and I can scroll throught the menu.   _

This also sounds like there’s a problem with the cable (or connector port inside the player) if the player works fine when not connected to the computer.

VistaCruiser wrote: 

_ I got a message it was full and wont function _ so is why I tried connecting it to the computer.  I loaded music files on there yesterday.   

What exactly was this ‘message’? Was it perhaps “Not Enough Space For Music DB. Please Free 8MB” or something similar? If so, this cryptic message usually means there is some file corruption in the FAT (File Allocation Table). This might have happened as a result (or from) the files you recently put on it, although it sometimes just ‘happens’ with these older players. The fix is to format the player, but this also erases everything you have put on it, so you will have to re-load afterwards.

But as it seems, you’ve got more than one problem going on here. You’re going to have to get it to connect reliably before you can format it.

@vistacruiser wrote:

_ I tried switching to Auto Detect mode but my computer doesn’t recognize it.  I did uninstall it in the device manager as it shows up differently _, switching the mp3 player off, restarting and connecting in Auto detect mode I believe and the driver installed successfully but continues to hang when I click on it in My Computer. 

Auto Detect (referred to as Auto Defect around here) defaults to MTP mode whenever possible, but can connect in MSC mode if conditions are not right with MTP. That’s the main reason nobody here recommends using it. Pick either MTP or MSC and stick with it. With all the problems and issues that can occur with MTP mode, nobody really recommends this either unless you are using ‘protected’ (DRM-encrypted) .wma files which require it. Otherwise, MSC mode is much easier.

The “new menu look when you connected with features you didn’t recognize such as not having the ability to safely remove it from your computer” is most likely it connecting in MTP mode when you’re used to seeing it in MSC mode. Only in MSC do you get the ‘safely remove’ option in the System Tray, not in MTP. Also, when connected to your computer in Windows Explorer, the player will show up as 2 separate drives, each with their own drive letter under “Devices With Removable Storage”. If it doesn’t look like this, the player is connected in MTP.

Don’t know whether this will help or not, but at least it should give you some information to go on. :wink: