"Safely Remove" Sansa?

@paul777 wrote:

The instruction manuel says to remove the Sanas Express safely from your computer, “click on the Sansa Express icon in the system taskbar”.  I don’t see any such icon in my taskbar, nor has any icon ever come up when I plug in my Sansa. I also clicked the little arrow thinking the icon might be hidden. Nothing there. I only have my clock and my usual icons beside it. Everything works okay, I am able to transfer files, but I am worried that if I keep unplugging it without following that step, something will go wrong eventually. I also opened windows own “Safely Remove Hardware” window, but the Sansa is not listed there when it is plugged in. Is it safe to unplug it while a signal and electric current is still running to it from my computer?

The Express is an MTP device and you will not have an icon in your taskbar to disconnect. When you connect you may have the icon flash for a moment or may never have the icon appear, but it doesn’t stay on your taskbar.

You can disconnect your Express any time except when there is an actual file transfer in progress. If you are using WMP to sync your music, WMP will give a notice that it is ok to disconnect. If you are dragging & dropping your music, you can disconnect once your song shows on the Express’s Music folder.

The disconnect icon is really only applicable to MSC devices and when you connect your Express normally to the computer, it connects in MTP mode not MSC.