M200 series freezing problem fix

@buttreport wrote:

So what I did was turn it off and plug it into my computer, where it sticks on the initializing screen. I did the same thing here: pull off that chip and then replace it, which actually got it to mount so you can format it (all my files were still on it, fyi). It’ll probably end up with the same problem again, but hopefully it’ll last a little while like this.

You are a god, dude! I found that you have to pull off the memory chip pretty fast after power on for this to work - if you wait too long it doesn’t error out and let you format it when the chip is pushed back in. I originally froze my unit by putting an .mp3 file on it that was renamed to .aa to see if it would treat it as an audiobook with bookmarking and such - froze with “rebuilding library” and thereafter “initializing”. I’m guessing it will freeze up on any corrupted file or file with unusual tags it tries to read the tags out of! Usually devices like this can be reset by holding down some button when you power it on but I guess the crappy programmers they hire couldn’t get something like that to work. I’m sure they could add that to the firmware but they’d have to care so that ain’t gonna happen. Hope their newer products don’t ■■■■ as bad as these turds!