latest firmware

I have seen people with 4.1.08e online but I have 4.1.08a and the sansa updater says no updates. How can I get 4.1.08e?

4.1.08e is for Europe.  4.1.08a is for the Americas.  It is the same thing, so no worries.

what is the difference between the versions (1, 2, 3, 4)?

I am pretty sure the different versions use different boards with different chips, so the firmware has to be custom written for the controller chips that are on the board.

is a higher number “better” in any way? which has been demonstrated to be most bug free?

@roadrunner123 wrote:
is a higher number “better” in any way? which has been demonstrated to be most bug free?

Not that I can tell.  I have a m230 that has a 1 version firmware, and I have a m240 that has the 4 version, and everything is identical feature-wise, and as far as i can tell, sound-wise, too.

I think it is just a mechanical difference, different controller, different memory chips.

My version 2.2.5a m250 is incapable of accelerated FF/Rew (the one and only speed is very very slow), and it’s a huge deficiency for me because I usually use MP3 files ranging from 1 hour to 3 hours and more. My 4.1.08a m250 does not have this problem. I bought it partly just hoping it would be version 4.x, and was fortunate. AFAIK, there’s no way of knowing what you will get. I’m wondering if I should try to RMA the version 2.x m250.

Message Edited by Muse on 05-30-2008 09:21 PM