internal and external memory

does anyone know why i downloaded all my music to an external sd card but my music also shows in my internal memory when i thought it wouldn’t ?

No. Why do you think that it does?

i dont know why i have the same music on my system memory when i saved it to external sd card.

Again I ask . . . why do you say this? A more detailed and complete explanation of what you are seeing, experiencing, etc. will not only be helpful, but necessary in order for anyone to help you.

the music i downloaded to the sd card also appears on the internal music , why ?

What process did you use to “download” the music to your device?

If you use a media manager, like Windows Media Player for example, it’s possible to transfer to the Internal or External memory (MTP), or as separate logical drives (MSC).  When using the Sync function in Windows Media Player, it’s very easy to transfer to one “venue” or the next, if you miss the detail in the upper right corner of the WiMP interface.

Using Windows Explorer, the same differences exist, but they are more readily seen as separate locations for transfer.  It’s easy to transfer to one memory area versus another.

Now to the meat and potatoes of your situation.  Do you see duplicates of your music on the device?  Here’s a simple test: go to Music > Songs and look at the list of titles.  From this level, if a track is located on the microSD card, you will see a little card icon next to the track name (icon is on the left margin).  If you have transferred twice, once to the card, and then again to the internal memory, you will see duplicate entries here.

Try this test, if this is the case.  Remove the microSD card and allow the database to refresh.  See if your tracks are loaded in the internal memory.  You can then correct the problem by deleting the tracks in the internal memory, and use the ones on the card.  Before you do this, verify that the desired tracks are loaded on the card via a card reader (which keeps everything separate from the device, making less opportunity for confusion in this case), or simply reinsert the card and see if the tracks are “doubled” with the card inserted.

It’s also possible to examine the contents of the card using the computer (windows explorer).

The last possibility is that the music database of the Clip Zip has been corrupted.  This can only be seen while connected in MSC mode , it’s the file mtable.sys in the root directory.  You can delete this file safely via the computer, and upon disconnect, the Clip Zip will build a new database file from scratch.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

1 Like

i have the same exact music on my sd card as i have on my system , when i remove the sd card i dont show any music on my system , i dont show music on the system when i hook up to the computer. everytime i hook up to the computer i see files in the system mtable.sys , res_info.sys , sys_conf.sys (i also have deleted them a few times thet keep coming back) my folders under the system are albumn , audible , audio books , music , podcasts , record , sport.

The Zip is slightly unique in that there is both a Music menu and a Card menu. By selecting the Card menu, you can browse files stored only on the external memory card. The Music menu however, will display songs located both in the internal memory and on the card as well. It is not a listing of songs located exclusively in the internal memory location.

Is this what you are seeing that leads you to believe that the files are copied to both locations? As Bob indicated, as you browse through the list in the Music menu, the files actually located on the card will have a small icon next to them.

Note also that you can go to the bottom of the Music menu to Folders. Here you can select either Internal Memory or External Card and navigate to verify what files are residing where.

@cjpunkk wrote:

i have the same exact music on my sd card as i have on my system , when i remove the sd card i dont show any music on my system , i dont show music on the system when i hook up to the computer. everytime i hook up to the computer i see files in the system mtable.sys , res_info.sys , sys_conf.sys (i also have deleted them a few times thet keep coming back) my folders under the system are albumn , audible , audio books , music , podcasts , record , sport.

By “system” I assume you’re referring to your player’s internal memory, am I right? If you remove the card and the music is not there, why do you think the music was in both locations in the 1st place? Seems to me this would confirm the files were only located on the memory card.

The files you list are database and settings files. I have no idea why you thought it was a good idea to delete these (it’s not), but thankfully they re-generate themselves upon start-up.