e260 has a bad track

My e260 has a bad track from a NPR recording. I tried deleting it from my PC but it doesn’t show up on the PC. I don’t see a way to delete it from my player. It sometimes freezes the device. Finally had to take out the battery to reboot. This didn’t fix the problem of the bad track. So I tried to reset. This deleted all my files when looking at the device folder on my PC but all my old files, including the bad track, are still on the device. I don’t know how to get my computer to see what’s actually on my player and I don’t know how to delete the bad track.

Files can only be seen or accessed on the computer while the player is in the same USB mode as when the files were transferred to the device. Try switching for MTP to MSC or vice-versa  and see if you’re able to see the derelict file now.

Okay, I’ll try that, thanks. I was experimenting with that setting, not knowing what it was and may have it on the other setting. What’s the default?

So, any ideas for deleting the corrupt file? It wasn’t showing up on my PC before resetting the device. Can I delete a file from the device? I haven’t found a way yet.

When you switch USB modes you will see different files from your computer.

Files that went over via MSC (which makes the unit work like a basic thumb drive) can only be seen when it’s in that mode. Files sent via MTP (which is made to handshake with Windows Media Player, but also lets you drag-and-drop via Windows Explorer) can only be seen in that mode.

Once they are on the unit, the unit sees them all.

What’s the default? Well…

SanDisk thinks people are better off using Windows Media Player and MTP, on the model of iTunes/iPod. You need MTP if you use music from subscription serves that adds hidden codes via Windows Media Player.You need WMP 10 or 11, not WMP 9 (which is in XP if you haven’t updated). 

But many of us here (like me) prefer MSC for total transparency and user control. 

You must have a v1 unit, which can’t delete files from the unit. Settings/Info/Firmware version starts with a 1 for v1 units; there’s a v2 (firmware 3.x) with different hardware that does delete, and for some reason that’s the only user manual SanDisk put online.   

Message Edited by c1u31355 on 04-29-2010 06:46 PM

I understand everything you wrote except the following. Not sure what you’re telling me here:

Settings/Info/Firmware version starts with a 1 for v1 units; there’s a v2 (firmware 3.x) with different hardware that does delete, and for some reason that’s the only user manual SanDisk put online.    

Does this mean there’s no way to delete the file from my device?

You can’t delete the file by pushing a button on the device. (You can on the v2.) But you can delete it via the computer–you just have to find it via one of the modes.

If it is a really bad track that for some reason your computer won’t delete, put the unit in MSC mode, connect it, right-click on it and go to Properties/Tools/Error-Checking. Run Error-checking, which lets Windows fix very defective files. If it asks you to save bad chains, or something like that, don’t. 

Awesome! Thanks, I’ll try your suggestions. And thanks for the prompt replies.