can't control player while charging from AC adapter.

firmware: 02.36.03

I am using the cable that came with the Fuze+ and the AC adapter from this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047HNP36 which is a no brand AC adapter 5V 1000mA. When I have it plugged in then the battery icon does the charging animation but the Fuze+ doesn’t respond to the touchpad. Meanwhile on my cousins phone charger (don’t know specs since it’s an hour away all I know is it fits in the USB port on the +) it responded and worked perfectly fine. (albeit kind of warm) Samething happened with the last firmware and the one that came on it. Any idea why this is?

BUMP anyone know what’s wrong?

From what you say, it seems to be a problem with the AC adaptor, not the Fuze+.

Tape is right. Your AC adaptor might be supplying voltage to the 2 middle pins of the USB cable or something like that :smileyvery-happy: Do a test, find a way to cover the 2 middle pins and see if you’ll get a different result.

what can I block them with? The thing is it doesn’t appear to be connected to a computer it just looks like ti normally does when powered on except “locked” without the lock screen.

It would be very difficult to interrupt pins at the micro USB side of the connection, those wee pins are very small.

Well, not that small, the connection for the digital camera is an even tighter squeeze.  I’ll have to experiment with a few chargers.  I have an LG one here from my wife’e phone, and it does chagre the Fuze+.

Indeed, the little monster charges and operates normally while plugged in.  It’s a model STA-U34WDI (OEM supplied) charger.  Now all I have to do is locate the wee probes for the Fluke, and we’ll have a look at those center three pins.  Actually, this will require a handy Panavise to hold the plug, my goofy magnifying hood, a light, and perhaps a micro acetylene torch.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

why can’t I block the center 2 on the other side?

@Jamieson I want to block them before I remove them completly and even so how ould I remove them?

Ah, we have apples and oranges here.  An AC adaptor with permanently-connected cable, and a _micro_USB connection at the end of this cable, is what I was referring to.  Very small bits indeed.

If you have a “wall wart” AC-to-USB adaptor, one with a USB receptacle on it, this is an entirely different, and much easier, case.  A bit of common household “Scotch” tape applied to the center pin area is all you need.

This is the typical “phone charger” device.  Yes, this image is of an English variant, with the round “pokies”, as opposed to the US flat-pin type, but the permanent cable is the issue.  Some of these devices shunt the two center pins, or hold one pin “high” via a bleed resistor to positive.  When there’s “something interesting” on one of the data lines, the Sansa can be fooled into thinking it’s connected to a PC, in which case it searches for packets of data- and disables the controls.

With the existing cable, you can indeed use one of these little guys to charge and enjoy musique at the same time:

With the average USB wall adaptor, there is nothing at all connected to the center two pins, and you shouldn’t have to do a thing.  The common phone charger is our point of contention here, as some have interesting things going on with the center pins.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

if you looked at my llink to the pack I bought before you weould know it resembles the 2nd one. I’ll try tape. Is there an offical car charger with a USB receptical (SP?) on it?

Is it supposed to respond to touch and be useable during the charging?

I am using the default provided miniUSB cable that came with the box.

When I plug it in to the computer, it simply says Connected and shows a USB wire and a charging battery.

It would be really really useful if I could use the player while it was charging.

Also, the display should be updated to show how much % has been charged.

Presently it just shows a forever looping charging symbol. 

If it said something like 54% charged right on the charging screen, that would be very helpful.

Presently I have to plug it out of the charge cable and look at the charge value on the regular display.

Thanks.

no not useable when connected to a computer. Should be when connected to a AC to USB adaptor.