Will not start. Reset only shows horizontal lines

Hi,

I had other problems but they were resolved. Now I have a new problem. I was getting “refresh media” that never ended. I tried to see if the mp3’s were the problem. They were fine. To get out of “refresh media” screen, I pressed the reset buttons. Eventually, I had access but I noticed that the clip zip player and the mp3 songs were acting weird. I noticed duplicate songs and when I played certain songs, the player started flipping thru the songs quickly. So I decided to format the player with the internal option. Now it won’t start. I press the reset buttons (Power and select button) and I eventually see horizontal lines.

I thought the internal software (OS) was safe from format. I just wanted to delete all mp3 songs. Now I have nothing. I try to plug in the player to the computer and the computer doesn’t recognize the “usb device.” Do I have to install the player OS?

@ulyssescpt wrote:

I press the reset buttons (Power and select button) and I eventually see horizontal lines.

FYI . . . this is NOT the reset procedure. Press and hold the power button for 20-30 secs. Release, then press the power button again momentarily to start the player. It should start up and operate normally.

I had other problems but they were resolved. Now I have a new problem. I was getting “refresh media” that never ended. I tried to see if the mp3’s were the problem. They were fine."

The problem is likely to be with the tags on your mp3 files. The Sandisk players want mp3 tags in the format of ID3V2.3 ISO 8859-1. 

Try holding down the center button while you connect the player to your pc. See if it will connect that way. 

If you can get it to connect that way, then let it charge for a few hours. Apply the latest firmware to the player manually, even if you already have that version in your player. Sometimes the firmware in the player becomes corrupted. Use a tag editing program, such as the free MP3Tag to edit your tags, so they are in the format the player wants. Then connect the player, and copy the songs to the player.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

When I connect the player to the computer with or without holding the center key, sometimes the computer reports, “usb device not recognized”', othertimes, it asks me to format the device.

I read in the manual that you had to press the power key and the select key to reset the clip zip player.

@ulyssescpt wrote:

I read in the manual that you had to press the power key and the select key to reset the clip zip player.

Where did you read that? On page 9-10, the Clip Zip Manual states:

Reset
If the Sansa Clip Zip MP3 player freezes up for any reason, press the Power button and hold it for approximately 15 seconds. This is similar to a power down of the player. However, be aware that once you perform the reset, any adjustments you made during the last operation will be lost. Your saved content (e.g. Music Files, Recordings) will not be deleted from the device.

@ulyssescpt wrote:

When I connect the player to the computer with or without holding the center key, sometimes the computer reports, “usb device not recognized”', othertimes, it asks me to format the device.

This sounds more like a hardware issue. You should probably contact SanDisk directly if it is still under warranty.