Trouble adding new music...

My player doesn’t seem to like new music being added to it (I have been using MSC mode). Whenever I try to add a new album the menu will load with only artists A to L and then the rest of the menu is messed up. This happens with whichever album I choose to add, so I doubt it is an issue with the tags of the music I’m adding.

I’m currently at around 6500 songs so I can’t see the limit being an issue, besides I’ve also tried removing music to make room for more just in case that was the problem, with no difference in results.

Could anyone advise me what the issue is here, and how to overcome it?
Thanks 

@ri_pie wrote:

My player doesn’t seem to like new music being added to it (I have been using MSC mode). Whenever I try to add a new album the menu will load with only artists A to L and then the rest of the menu is messed up. This happens with whichever album I choose to add, so I doubt it is an issue with the tags of the music I’m adding.

I’m currently at around 6500 songs so I can’t see the limit being an issue , besides I’ve also tried removing music to make room for more just in case that was the problem, with no difference in results.

Thanks 

While the “official” limit is 8,000 tracks many have hit the ceiling at less than 5,000. I’d guess you’re one of those.

Things that can affect the number of tracks the player will accept and/or read is ling files names, long titles in the ID3 tag, excessive folder heriarchies (or trees) and large sized embedded album art.

@ri_pie wrote:

I’m currently at around 6500 songs so I can’t see the limit being an issue , besides I’ve also tried removing music to make room for more just in case that was the problem, with no difference in results.

Thanks 

While the “official” limit is 8,000 tracks many have hit the ceiling at less than 5,000. I’d guess you’re one of those.

Things that can affect the number of tracks the player will accept and/or read is long files names, long titles in the ID3 tag, excessive folder heriarchies (or trees) and large sized embedded album art, and other yet undiscovered characteristics.

I have tried to keep my tags to a bare minimum; I’ve removed all embedded artwork, comments, lyrics, genre and year, as well as shortening the long file names. As for my folder trees, I do the standard Artist>Album structure. Is there anything else I can do to optimise the amount of songs I can get on?

Sounds like you’ve pretty well covered the gamut of known offenders. Don’t know what else to suggest other than multiple SD cards to hold all your music and swap them out occasionally. :confounded:

Happily, I managed to sort it out without getting any more memory cards. Somehow a bit of switching, by moving folders from internal to external and vice versa, allowed me to have the files on without the menu bug.

Glad you got your problem sorted out. I basically have had much the same problem. I see a lot information concerning tags and length of file names etc. This becomes most troubling to me because with 3 other clip players of older vintage, I have zero problems adding new music at any time but this clip Zip has raised many more obsticles than I really wanted to contend with. Internal memory poses no problems but external SD has been a disappointment so far.