Takes much too long to start-up

I am trying to like this thing, I really am.

Compared to my other MP3 players, this Fuze+ takes much too long to strtup. I am on the latest 1.30.01A firmware.

Archos 2 Vision, 16G, with 8G SD = 10 seconds

Archos 2 Vision, 16G, without SD = 6 seconds

Fuze, 8G, with 8G SD = 4 seconds (shoulda stayed with this one guys)!

Fuze, 8G, without SD = 4 seconds

Fuze+, 16G, with 8G SD = 59 seconds

Fuze+, 16G , without SD = 12 seconds

Note that these are not timings for a recently re-loaded SD card, where the Music d/b needs to be refreshed - these are constant start times for an unchanged card.

I can see that 16G takes longer to refresh than 8G, but in other ways this Fuze+ is faster than the previous Fuze - it takes much less time for Winamp to Autofill 16G on the Plus, than to Autofill 8G on the older Fuze.

Is the Fuze+ trying to do a complete refresh everytime, even though no Music files have changed (I have just music loaded on main, and SD)? Surely a simple date/time stamp for “last changed” could resolve this?

Thanks in advance if any Sandiskers are reading 

I am having the same issue… fuze + 8gb player, brand new, and it takes about 2-3 minutes, no exaggeration, to start up.  I reformated my sd card and it didn’t help.  My old fuze gave me no such trouble.  I would return it if I hadn’t bought it on ebay; there is no reason an mp3 player should be released with that kind of startup time.

I really don’t know why they changed the player so much between the Fuze and Fuze+. The old design, technology and usability was absolutely amazing, they scrap all of that, and bring out a player which is lighter (almost cheaply light, and the old Fuze had a very solid feel), slower (to boot and navigate), lost all of the great features the Fuze had and went back to Square One, now they’re trying to get all the features back on (looped menus, locking mechanism etc.) 

Question is: Why did they rush the design and release of this player? What was the rush? The old Fuze was fine, people weren’t asking for a new one? Why they didn’t slow down, fully design, test and manufacture a product with the same brilliance as it’s predecessor, I don’t know?

Ah well. :frowning:

@slimmyshady wrote:
Question is: Why did they rush the design and release of this player? What was the rush? The old Fuze was fine, people weren’t asking for a new one? Why they didn’t slow down, fully design, test and manufacture a product with the same brilliance as it’s predecessor, I don’t know?

They were convinced that the new touchscreen mp3 devices (especially the new touchscreen iPod Nano introduced around the same time as this device) were a threat to Fuze sales. “Out with the old clickwheel-style technology!”  They decided to rush a “touch” device of their own, but they opted to use much, much cheaper “touch” technology.  Funny, as the new touchscreen iPod Nanos have not been reviewed particularly favorably either.  I owned one for 2 weeks and returned it.

Hear that Sandisk?  We liked the older style better!  Bring it back in your Fuze++ please.

@jasonbrunelle wrote:

@slimmyshady wrote:

They were convinced that the new touchscreen mp3 devices (especially the new touchscreen iPod Nano introduced around the same time as this device) were a threat to Fuze sales. “Out with the old clickwheel-style technology!”  They decided to rush a “touch” device of their own, but they opted to use much, much cheaper “touch” technology.  Funny, as the new touchscreen iPod Nanos have not been reviewed particularly favorably either.  I owned one for 2 weeks and returned it.

Hear that Sandisk?  We liked the older style better!  Bring it back in your Fuze++ please.

I completely agree that the Nano touchscreen is also an unwanted feature. Have you noticed how the new Nano Touch and the shuffle, put together make the old nano with screen and click wheel. I would prefer a clickwheel as well.

They should call it the Fuze Classic or something, not Fuze ++ :slight_smile:

I agree. They should call this product, “I should have had an Ipod”. Not only does it take forever to load, but there seems to be no way to lock the screen. In an older version of this mp3 player you were able to press down on the upper right corner of the screen, and the player would lock to some extent. It was only about 80% effective, and you had to rub center of the screen, bottom to top, to get out of the lock mode. And, this would also take forever.

I recently bought another SanDisk (I’m a glutton for punishment), but I can’t even get the locking feature to engage. I’m about ready to take a claw hammer to the upper right side of the unit.  

The only saving grace is that it is very simple to save music to another hard-drive, and cds are easily copied. But, overall, I don’t think it’s worth the other hassles. 

Do you have the newest firmware version? If so, hold the power button for about 1 second to toggle the lock. Or, if you have an older version, I think you hold the play button for a few seconds.

If you wish to reduce the boot times, you can remove the memory card. If you have a higher capacity, not using a card at all will reduce the boot times to only a few seconds. Or better yet, get Rockbox.