Stuck On 'Refreshing Your Media'

Thanks for the tips.  

The main problem I was having was that I couldn’t get actually into the player or the files to do anything about them.  Computer wouldn’t recognise it and player would always loop into the refreshing media message.  I found the solution in the end whilst reading up on something else - connecting the player to the computer whilst holding the select button down.  

I then proceeded to do a complete wipe, reformat and install latest firmware.  Still a ton of problems even following the tagging tips.  (My music library had already been properly tagged with correct ISO v2.3 as I went through all that setting up a media server for my HTPC but i did double check with no success).  Anymore than 10 or so songs put on at a time and it just went the same way, even stripping any embedded artwork out.  On top of that any old .mp4s I had left over from Windows days that I had ripped in iTunes wouldn’t play either; they would either freeze the player or just play garbled sound.

In the end about 5 mins installing Rockbox on it instead and everything works fine no matter tags/artwork or filetype.

Its a nice player and perfect size and storage for my needs but unfortunately it doesn’t look like the software side is fit for purpose out of the box.  

Not sure to mark this solved or not?  Correct tags and stripping the artwork didn’t clear the problem only installing a third party firmware did.  Not sure that would be acceptable to everyone.

Thanks for the reply though, nice to know there seems to be a dedicated bunch looking out for the product.