Screen quality, ghosting and discolouration.

Is it normal for the display to produce horizontal ghosting beside bright text and discolouration at the edges with certain background colours?

@millitaryman69 wrote:

Is it normal for the display to produce horizontal ghosting beside bright text and discolouration at the edges with certain background colours?

Yup.  Both my CZ and my wife’s do the same thing, even when running different firmware.  It appears to be hardware related, not software.  It’s not exactly the best quality screen (to put it politely).

Even it appears the same thing to me,I think it is due to hardware and not software.The screen quality should be improved

Using a black background Rockbox theme helps aliviate the ghosting and color bleeding.  There is also a slight overall color shift to red when the brightness is at the lowest settings.

Sandisk should have utilized one of OLED’s huge strengths – the ability to reproduce a true black.

It’s most likely a quirk of the way the Clip Zip renders the image.  Sizing the album art for the little full-color OLED screen, you will note that some images can muddy a little bit.  I agree, the contrast could be tweaked a little; some album images I’ve tweaked a bit look brilliant on the screen, so it is possible to improve the image a bit.

In short, the image display is a compromise of relative brightness of the adjacent RGB pixels.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I am interested in this theme, where exactly did you get it? I went to the Clip Zip “theme” section in Rockbox and saw nothing like that. In fact there were only 3 themes total. But I’m interested in this dark theme. Thanks.

The hardware must be different across the  Zips or something… I had a Red Zip that rendered perfectly fine - no grainyness, no discolored pixels or anything. No flaws in any of my album art. 

It wasn’t the color Zip I wanted, but I did want to try it out, check out the interface, and see if the image quality was bad as it was made out to be.  I went to another store and exchanged it 2 days later for a Black Zip.

I backed up my file structure prior to taking it back. I moved my files to the Black Zip and album art that had no flaws previously were all of sudden rendered poorly in some spots, pixel discoloration…so something is different guys…

It could also just be/likely is manufacturing imperfections–nothin systematic.

It could also just be/likely is manufacturing imperfections–nothing systematic.