Sansa e260 plugged into wall charger but tries to connect to data source

I have a model e260 that I’ve enjoyed using for several years. I use it mainly at night with some under-pillow speakers to help me sleep. Recently, when I plug it in to the wall charger, it gets stuck on “connecting to database” mode even though it’s plugged into the wall, not my computer. In this mode, it won’t play and it won’t charge. I have to unplug it, let it refresh, and try again. Sometimes it will play for a minute or two, then go back into “connect” mode and stop playing.

Also, the screen has recently begun randomly lighting up for no apparent reason, which of course lights up the room and wakes me up. I have to turn it over or shut it in my bedside drawer to block the light. There doesn’t seem to be any pattern to the light-ups, and when I look at the screen it seems to be playing normally.

I’ve tried removing the battery, replacing it with a new battery, changing the case it’s in, getting a new data/charging cord, to no avail. Any ideas? Thank you.

Maybe there’s some pocket lint or other schmutz inside the bottom 30-pin port on the player that is causing the player to attempt to connect in data mode instead of just charging. Check it out with some good light and maybe a magnifying glass, It may just need to be vacuumed out. If you try and blow it out, you might drive any dust or particulate matter further inside the player. But even so, the e200 series is very easy to disassemble completely; 4 screws on the back plate and 4 more inside underneath the battery and you can break it down for a good look-see and thorough cleaning.

Thank you, I’ll give that a try!

I’ve taken the back off before to change the battery but never gotten into the guts of it. :slight_smile:

Ah ha! I took a close look at the end of the data cable and it appears the six tiny prongs on one end are bent out of alignment, and one of them is missing. I’m now using my retractable cable that I normally just ust for travel; we’ll see if that solves the problem.

I will still follow your advice to open up the player and vacuum out dust and debris, though. It won’t hurt. :slight_smile: Thank you!