Sansa e260 and connecting to Car via USB

Hello,

I just purchased a new car and tried hooking up my Sansa e200 to the car via USB.  The car doesn’t seem to recognize the device.  It says “Reading USB” on the car display and then when i look at the player it says “Connecting”…and then a few seconds later, “Disconnecting” and then it returns to radio in the car. The device never plays on the car.

I have a Sansa Clip also and THAT is recognized by the car just fine so i know nothing is wrong with the car’s USB port.

ANy idea of what i can do to make the car recognize my Sansa e200 player?

Thank you!
Steph

Change the USB mode to MSC.

Change the USB mode on the player to MSC.

I already did that as well - i tried changing to MSC.  Message on the car says “Empty USB.”  I then disconnect, the player reboots…and the songs are there so i’m not sure what the problem is!

Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Were the songs added to the player in MSC mode? If they were transferred to the player in MTP mode, your computer can not ‘see’ them while connected in MSC mode. I doubt your car’s stereo can either.

To be honest, I really don’t know what mode it was in when I added the songs from my computer.

What do you suggest to do in order to see these on my car stereo?

Should the songs be added in MSC mode on the computer?

Thanks!

@slcabrera wrote:

To be honest, I really don’t know what mode it was in when I added the songs from my computer.

What do you suggest to do in order to see these on my car stereo?

Should the songs be added in MSC mode on the computer?

Thanks!

Bingo! :smiley:

Great, thanks!

So what do I need to do?  “Reset all” on the MP3 player…and then switch the mode of it and then add the songs back onto my player?

Thanks!

‘Reset All’ won’t do anything but reset your ‘settings’.

You’ll need to delete everything off of the player (make sure you have copies of al these files on your computer!). The quickest, easiest and best way to do this is to format the player. If it’s a v2 model, there’s a Format option in the Settings > System Settings menu. If it’s a v1 model, you can do it in Wndows Explorer by right-clicking the player’s icon (MSC mode only, please).

Once the memory is empty, _ now _ you can switch modes on the player and re-transfer everything over again.

Great, thanks!

I have version 1…so I was able to format via the windows explorer.  My car manual says that it needs to be FAT32, as well as formatted in the 2048BYTE size so I chose those settings in the format screen.  Hopefully this will all work!

Thanks again!

Hi!

I formatting and put my music back on the player - just wanted to let you know that it now works!! :slight_smile: Only thing is that when i disconnect the player from the car USB…the player shuts down and reboots.  Odd.

Thanks for all your help!

@slcabrera wrote:

Hi!

I formatting and put my music back on the player - just wanted to let you know that it now works!! :slight_smile: Only thing is that when i disconnect the player from the car USB…the player shuts down and reboots.  Odd.

Good deal!

I’m not sure why, but I noticed that too this summer when I rented a new car with a USB port for vacation. If I ever get a car and/or stereo with this feature, I think I’ll just use a memory card with a reader to plug in.

Does the same thing, and you don’t have to worry about leaving the player out where someone can see it and maybe think they deserve it more than you do when you leave the car. Plus, in the summertime the heat inside the car could possibly do detrimental things to the interior electronics or battery. A memory card is cheap, serves the same purpose, and is smaller and easier to hide when leaving the car unattended. :wink:

When you mention a memory card with a “reader” to plug into the USB in the car, what do you mean?  I’d LOVE to know so I could use that instead of the MP3 player, i’m VERY interested in hearing details!

Thanks again!!!  :slight_smile:

Here’s one:

CTCstore 10-in-1 USB 2.0 High Speed Memory Card Reader Writer for SD SDHC MiniSD MiniSDHC MMC rsMMC - Purple

Using a Micro SD card, you have to use a full-size card adaptor, but a lot of them come with the micro-sized cards you buy today.

I have that same card reader. pretty tough to seeing it’s been dropped several time and put though the wash a lot with both caps off