Sansa Fuze+

Yea, first thing I did was plug it in and download the new updater (first time thru it showed the V1/V2 fuze on the left) then the firmware.  I want to say it had 1.25.something out of the box, so I updated it, then copied music I had backed up from my V1 (before it up and died). 

The side-to-side “swiping” was aggravating, but not near as bad as the up/down and “back arrow”.  I’d try as gently & slow as possible to scroll up one song or artist, and it would jump 2 or 3, so I had to go back and forth a lot.  With the V1/V2 wheel I feel I have a lot more precision and accuracy as to where I go and when I stop. 

I also like that the V1/V2 wheel menu “wraps around” instead of hitting the end and just bouncing back like a rubber wall.  Maybe there was a feature to do that, didn’t look - it was a challenge just finding the settings menu to adjust the clock and they even managed to screw up something as simple as that.  Swipe up (bounce!)…nope “down” to 7…swipe right to the minute column…no, the MINUTE column not the am/pm column…etc…and again, the whole unit felt like a cheap knock-offs from one of those “claw” redemption games…it weighed next to nothing and I knew it’s high-gloss shine would be scratched up in no time from normal handling…

Sorry for the excessive rant…I did a lot of comparison shopping a couple years ago and decided at the time to go with the Fuze, I just hoped the Fuze+ would have been “more”.  Bought myself a V1…and my wife one…and got a deal on a refurb V2 from WOOT.com for my 12 year old.  They figured out how to use it in no time.  The only headache was scaling cover art to 200x200 and using MP3TAG editor to update that…whether it was CDs I ripped, Amazon buys, or MP3s I had magically appear from places unknown…I was disappointed when my Fuze started randomly resetting or dieing even with a full charge…then the “refreshing” when nothing changed…and finally total death…

So…fast forward to last week…the MUZAK they pipe in at work (right above my head) drove me to the edge and I HAD to find something so thought I’d try the Fuze+ (mostly hoping gapless playback would be a feature…).