Sansa Firmware Updater Won't Install

Computer Data:

Win7 32bit - well maintained, well organized, no spyware, viruses or other retard issues.

Also, UAC is fully disabled, all other programs install fine, and windows recognizes the devince fine.

Background:

I just purchased this device today (2010-03-25) from a local Futureshop store.  Then just opened it.

I decided to update the firmware.  I decided to do this automatically.  I can do it manually also, I know.

To do it automatically requires download of the Sansa Firmware Updater tool.

You also need this tool to get access to Sansa Media Converter tool (from what I understand).

So, I downloaded and ran the SansaUpdaterInstall.exe from the Sansa website.

Issue-At-Hand:

THE LOG INITIALLY SHOWS:

Checking Internet Connection : Checkmark.

Checking Windows Type : Checkmark.

Downloading latest Sansa Updater : Checkmark.

Installing latest Sansa Updater : Checkmark.

Registering latest Sansa Updater : SCREEN REFRESHES & ROLLS BACK THE LOG

THE LOG NOW SHOWS:

Checking Internet Connection : Checkmark

Checking Windows Type : Checkmark

Downloading latest Sansa Updater: X

The Installation Failed. Please Try Again Later.

Question / Request for Help:

How do I fix this?  I know I can update manually once or twice, but eventually I’d prefer automated.

Also, how do I get access to the SMC tool if this installation is not working?

And finally, anyone have any idea why the installation is failing?  The error message is not too helpful.

I’m fairly computer literate so any suggestions would be helpful.  Thanks.

Similair Issue:

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Fuze/Sansa-Firmware-Updater-doesn-t-get-installed/td-p/221970

However, the solution presented for that user DOES NOT work for me.  Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks.

@fakenjones wrote:

Question / Request for Help:

How do I fix this?  I know I can update manually once or twice, but eventually I’d prefer automated.

Why? The Updater is a resource hog, slowing your system down needlessly and ‘phoning home’ to see if there’s a new update every time you plug your player into your computer to either charge it or add new songs. Updates aren’t released that frequently to justify using the Updater. Manual installation is a breeze . . . and you can certainly do it more than once or twice.

Also, how do I get access to the SMC tool if this installation is not working?

You don’t need it with the Fuze+.

And finally, anyone have any idea why the installation is failing?

Most likely your AV software or firewall is preventing the connection with the download server.

Well I agree the process is painless, but does still require consistent checking on the users part.

As far as I can tell, there are no ETAs posted on the forums regarding future releases of firmware.

This means constant checking is required, with most checks yielding no results as updates aren’t frequent.

You can see how this is an un-needed process, that can be reduced with a properly functioning updater tool.

At the very least, perhaps the updater tool can be made to give more detailed information regarding it’s error.

This would allow a person, who wishes to use the updater, to have more information to solve the problem.

Regarding the SMC, I am curious as to what you mean that I do not need it with Fuze+.  It’s the first I’ve heard this.

My box and quick user guide both specify that the SMC is an explicit requirement. 

Does this mean that I can simply drag and drop video files (avi/divx/mpg etc) into the video folders?

Regarding the installation failing cause: 

I tried it with AV, firewall and anti-spyware all completely disabled.  Still no dice.