Sansa Clip Zip Firmware 01.01.21

Yes, I saw that post and commented on it, since I’m experiencing the same freeze-reset issue.  It sounds as though downgrading the firmware solves the problem. 

Two questions: 

1. How does one downgrade if one owns a new Clip Zip with the latest firmware and

2. Do you happen to have a link to FW 01.01.20?

Pluvidagheepf wrote:

Two questions: 

1. How does one downgrade if one owns a new Clip Zip with the latest firmware and
  1. Do you happen to have a link to FW 01.01.20?

1. Manually, according to the directions in the firmware post.

2. There’s a great tool here, called a SEARCH function. :stuck_out_tongue:

But here’s your link:

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Clip-Zip/Sansa-Clip-Zip-Firmware-01-01-20/m-p/270703#M2531

So I have no idea if this is firmware related, but the firmware version is the only difference between my old purple 4GB Clip Zip (running 01.01.20A), which worked fantastically for 18 months, until the headphone jack gave out, and my new black 4GB Clip Zips (. That’s Clip Zips, plural. I’m on my second one in 5 or 6 weeks…

I have a few main problems, listed from least to most worrisome:

(1) The left and right buttons rewind/fast forward, but don’t skip back/forward. Actually, I plugged my newest one into the computer yesterday (see issue 3), but somehow this magically “fixed” the issue. With both new Clip Zip, they buttons started out working, then stopped 2 or 3 days after I got them.

(2) I just timed it, and my Clip Zip takes 4:06 to turn on. That’s 4 MINUTES and 6 seconds. I have a 32 GB microSD card in it that’s almost full, but my GOODNESS, that’s excessive!!! My old one took maybe 15-20 seconds. *trying again without the microSD card* Nope. Same. 4:08. (On the other hand, it only took 1:35 to refresh my media, and that used to take like 4 minutes on the old Clip Zip! 1:35 isn’t bad for 29GB of data, in my opinion!)

(3) When I try to plug it into my computer… it just power cycles for forever and doesn’t connect. Then after I give up (30 minutes later or whatever) and unplug it from the computer, it’ll boot to the “Connected” screen. AFTER it’s unplugged. And then it won’t turn off unless I plug it back it, then unplug it again. WEIRD.  OOooh… It just connected but now it’s saying the USB device isn’t recognized. Not good.

Could this be a firmware issue? If so, I’m not sure how I can fix it, since I can’t connect it to my computer. I haven’t tried formatting it or restoring it to factory defaults. Didn’t want to do anything “rash” until I polled the audience… :wink:

Did I get two lemons in a row? Will the third one be a charm? HELP if you can!

Sara

I would try:

–  Manually reapplying the firmware–software glitches indeed can occur.  Easy to do, and this will not affect your user content on the player.  See the firmware sticky thread at the top of this forum.

–  If that doesn’t help, re-formatting the player, under its System settings–this can fix odd issues.  Note that this will erase your user content on the player, so transfer what you want to save to your computer first.

Hope this helps– 

Are there any planned updates in the future?  I got the newer Sport model which has a pitch corrected speed up feature on the audiobooks that I really enjoy and would like to see that feature on the older Zips.  Other than this one feature, the Sport seems very buggy.  The response I’ve gotten thus far is that I should not expect it to be able to read file names without cutting off half the characters and shouldn’t expect the audiobooks to play in order.  I would happily go back to the Zip, but it would be nice if they could adjust the speed feature to include pitch correction.  It’s really the best thing about the sport and I’m surprised they don’t brag about it more.

The benefit you point to would be great to see in the other players, but given the age of the Zip player and the fact that it’s been over a year since the last firmware revision, I would be surprised by any developments here.  But, one always can be pleasantly surprised.

Why can’t a Folder be added to the GoList?

Even a song within the Folder cannot be added.

This is so inconsistent with all the other great features of this player.

Really, it can’t be?  I thought it could.  Or perhaps it is an album or song via the database listings that can be added–have you tried that?  (It’s been awhile since I’ve done this, and my player isn’t nearby right now.)

Many thanks for your feedback Miikerman

Adding an album or a song to GoList viewed from within the album context certainly works fine, but only via the database. If I try to add a folder or a song within the folder view I get no action.

I like to keep albums comprised of multiple cds in multiple folders, one folder per cd. However I also ensure that the track numbers are contiguous and span all cds in the album. I therefore use the database for purposes where the boundaries between cds are of no interest, or I use the folder view when my purpose relates to a particular cd in the set. Surely this is the intended use of the software. So why can’t I simply add a folder (one cd in this case) to my GoList.

I have just loaded up Rockbox with the hope that this will do what I need.

I wouldn’t expect you to change your system for purposes of the player, but I don’t seem to have your issue, as, if I have multiple discs in an album, I have each of them labeled as such (e.g. Follies (1), Follies (2)).  And so I have no issue in adding to the GoList a particular disc from a multi-disc set via the database Album option, or in adding them all, one-by-one.

I wouldn’t expect you to change your system for purposes of the player, but I don’t seem to have your issue, as, if I have multiple discs in an album, I have each of them labeled as such (e.g. Follies (1), Follies (2)).  And so I have no issue in adding to the GoList a particular disc from a multi-disc set via the database Album option, or in adding them all, one-by-one.

As to why the two sides of the playing options (database and folders) don’t function identically, I think it all just relates back to how the 2 systems work, which is different internally.

I set up my ID3 tags a bit differently. To use your example I would give each of the cds in the album set the same ID3 Album-name = Follies. I would then make the ID3 Track-numbers contiguous (eg 01 to 12 on cd1 and 13 to 22 on cd2 and so on). I can therefore select and play the complete album from track 01 to the end of the album oblivious to the presence of cd boundaries. The filenames have the local track number prefixed, so I can also go to the Folder view and seek out track X on cd Y if I want to. However I cannot add track X or cd Y to the GoList directly from that view.

By giving each cd in the album set a unique name you are just perpetuating the limitations of the 700 MB capacity of a cd.

Of course I could be totally wrong, and find there really is a way to have the best of both Folder and Dbase views of the world.

After umpty-ump years of LPs and then CDs, and being a theater aficionado where performances typically are split into acts, I guess my brain just has grown accustomed to set periods of time for music, and so continuing with a disc paradigm seems natural fo me (and, in fact, is helpul when looking for a particular song/piece, as I will tend to remember on which disc of a multi-disc set a song/piece can be found). 

Always fascinating how the brain works and organizes information, using atoms of chemicals, tiny bits of tissue, and electrons at fantastical speed.  Whoever thought all this up was a cool being (or are we all just some adolescent’s junior high school project?) . . . . 

If you aren’t making use of the genre tag, you might figure out a way to use it in a clever manner to get what you want.

i formated my mp3 sansa clip from my comp. and after that imput the firmvare so it s not opening my sansa just writing the desk “file not found” “plug usb cable”

Did you follow the instructions at the top of this thread, as to how to do the update process? 

Specifically, as instructed above:

• Remove any external card from the Clip Zip before performing firmware update

• Ensure your battery is > 50% full. 

• Plug in your Sansa Clip Zip to your computer. 

• Extract the  clpza.bin  file from the .zip file you just downloaded into a folder on your computer.

• Once extracted, drag the file to the root directory of your Sansa Clip Zip

Note: If connecting in MTP mode drag and drop the Firmware file to the root of the Internal

memory Folder

• Disconnect the Sansa Clip Zip and let the firmware update begin. 

• Once it finally finishes doing its update, it will turn itself off. 

• Turn the Clip Zip on, Select your language and region preference 

• Once its back to the main menu, head to “Settings” >“System Settings”> “Info”, and verify the “Version” is now 01.01.21"x".

Update link for Clip Zip does not work for Mac Mavericks.

I’d like to download audiobooks, borrowed from a library site. I can plug my Clip Zip into the computer, and all it does is turn on, and say “Connected”. The drive shows on the desktop, but, nothing is in it, other than the folders that came on the device. 

I have downloaded the zip file for the update, but, when I click on it to open, it gives me an error message that says I can’t open a Windows file. 

The directions do not work, either. 

" Sansa Clip Zip Firmware 01.01.17 Download and Installation instructions

Update using the Sansa Firmware Updater

For Sansa Firmware Updater - Click here to download 

Manual Firmware Update (Download and Instructions)

Manual Firmware Update (All Regions) - Click here to download

All languages are now in one firmware version. After firmware update you will need to select your Language and Region preference.

• Remove any external card from the Clip Zip before performing firmware update.

• Ensure your battery is > 50% full. 

• Plug in your Sansa Clip Zip to your computer. 

• Extract the  clpza.bin  file from the .zip file you just downloaded into a folder on your computer.

• Once extracted, drag the file to the root directory of your Sansa Clip Zip. 

• Disconnect the Sansa Clip Zip and let the firmware update begin. 

• Once it finally finishes doing its update, it will turn itself off. 

• Turn the Clip Zip on, Select your language and region preference 

• Once its back to the main menu, head to “Settings” >“System Settings”> “Info”, and verify the “Version” is now 01.01.17"x"."

I see no root directory file, nor the clpza.bin file to extract. The zip file that downloads from the "Manual Firmware Update (All Regions) link just keeps creating new zip files of itself. 

I’d REALLY like this to work with my MAC computer! My Windows machine is in the process of dying, and I likely will not be replacing it.

I have a few issues with this version. The Sansa updater software have never found any firmware, even though it starts everytime I put my Zip in for charging. So I went in here a few weeks ago to check and realized that there was '21 out. I had '20 and not really any problems but I tend to always update anyway.

Two problems occured. Obviously I have rebooted as a first measure, but it did nothing.

1. Startup takes way much longer after the update (like from 15s to over a minute).
  2. The other and more serious issue is that on some albums (flac), it stops playing when a song ends and does not go on to the next. Other albums work as expected (also flac). The affected albums worked fine before the update.

Tody I made a rollback and installed '20 and all is fine again.

Hello,

I want to connect my clipzip to a macbook. I followed the instructions to update the firmware but after transferring the extracted files to the root clipzip file and disconnecting the device, nothing happens. What did I do wrong? Thank you.

What to do when your Sansa zip clip has no folders and is completely empty?

That’s what happened to me…

Does anyone know a solution…

This is all the info I have:

All the info in one place:

My Black Sansa Clip Zip 4 GB doesn’t turn on but is seen on my Windows 10 Computer. I connect it to my Computer on the backside with USB 3.0.

I tested if the battery works. I think it does charge because I held a voltmeter on the battery and it read 3,75 volt.

Another problem the Sandisk had no folders and no files on it so I can’t do a firmware update…

This is what happened the whole story:

A few weeks ago I found my old SanDisk sansa clipzip mp3 player and I thought: Hey, I haven’t seen you in a while… I tried to use it and then i remembered I stopped using it a long time ago because it froze and I tried some things…

I tried to connect it to my computer and tried to reset it and I tried more things like doing things on my pc… But it didn’t work…

I remembered when I got my first smartphone I grabbed this micro sd card (at that time it didn’t work already) and used it for my phone. I don’t konw if that adds to the way to fix it.
My computer can see it but the sandisk doesn’t do anything…

I hope maybe one of you can maybe help me! I would really apreciate that!