Sansa Clip Zip Firmware 01.01.20

@tnmats wrote:

Same here, RB running on a Clip Zip.  The main reason for switching to RB is the elapsed time.  I do not understand why Sandisk’s engineers are resistant to putting it on the CZ.

???

I think SanDisk opted for form over function: get the pretty album art there, and forget about the best usability. Unfortunately, in my silly little consumer mind, I go the other way: function always should trump and come before form.

Playlist still not working for me after update.  Version says V01.01.20A, so I assume it updated properly.  I tried formatting the player.  Playing with no microSD, with microSD, formatted the whole thing.  What am I doing wrong?  Why do I still not have playlists?  The whole reason I bought the player was to put playlists on it.

I’m updating using Media Monkey with m3u playlists, which I have used with all my mp3 players, including my previous failure of a device, the Fuze+.  That was the one issue the Fuze+ didn’t have.  It might have taken 5 minutes to turn on and suffered the worst lag in the history of ever, and randomly froze and shut down and had the worst UI and touch controls ever, but at least I had playlists on it.  Looks like I’ve become ■■■■■■ to yet another Sansa FAIL.

When I download the 01.01.20 update and run the .exe file nothing happens.  The only clpza.bin file I get is for v.01.01.18A.  Where does the .bin file go?  The only one I found is in the root directory of the C drive.   I put the sansaupdaterinstall.exe fie in my dowload file under a data folder.  When I run the .exe file nothing seems to happen.  Why won’t it create a .bin file in the same directory?

Help.  I can’t seem to get the update to work.

Jim

@jim43 wrote:

When I download the 01.01.20 update and run the .exe file nothing happens.  The only clpza.bin file I get is for v.01.01.18A.  Where does the .bin file go?  The only one I found is in the root directory of the C drive.   I put the sansaupdaterinstall.exe fie in my dowload file under a data folder.  When I run the .exe file nothing seems to happen.  Why won’t it create a .bin file in the same directory?

Help.  I can’t seem to get the update to work.

Jim

The manual install is easier then the automatic IMO.  Just download the firmware file, put it on the player, remove USB.  

Thanks, that worked.  I just have to use the MSC mode in order to copy the .bin file to the root directly of the Zip, otherwise it won’t copy.  Then in order for WMP to recognize that there are any files on it I have to go back and set the USB mode to MTP.  OK, long way around but it worked.

Thanks!

@jim43 wrote:

Thanks, that worked.  I just have to use the MSC mode in order to copy the .bin file to the root directly of the Zip, otherwise it won’t copy.  Then in order for WMP to recognize that there are any files on it I have to go back and set the USB mode to MTP.  OK, long way around but it worked.

Thanks!

You’re better off using MSC all the time. Empty the player, reset it to MSC, then you can reload it with WMP (if you want to use WMP) and it will then recognize the files on there.

The update does not fix the following issue: The player stops playing after a few seconds. A reboot is required to continue the playing, but also only for a few seconds. It happens with flac and mp3, but not with Podcasts and not with Audiobooks. M

I have not heard of this issue as a general matter. You might want to telephone SanDisk Customer Service and explain the issue, and see if they have a solution. http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandisk/contact-us/ And the files that stop playing, they’re in a format supported by the player and not DRM-protected, right?

Hi,

I just bought a Sansa Clip Zip for my boy. Played with it, put some music on it and so on. Managed it somehow that the starting up pictures of “Music” and “Books” disappeared. Doesn’t look good for a present.

Tried to repair it by Firmware Update. System is now 01.01.20 - but pictures are still gone …

Any idea what I could try else?

@maus02 wrote:

Hi,

I just bought a Sansa Clip Zip for my boy. Played with it, put some music on it and so on. Managed it somehow that the starting up pictures of “Music” and “Books” disappeared. Doesn’t look good for a present.

Tried to repair it by Firmware Update. System is now 01.01.20 - but pictures are still gone …

Any idea what I could try else?

Not to worry, it’s not the end of the world (at least not unitl Dec. 21st if you believe the Mayan calendar :stuck_out_tongue: )

One of the new features in the Zip model is that you can decide which Main menu items appear or not. So if for example, you don’t use the Books or Recordings or Sports you can set it so you won’t have to scroll thru these, saving you time.

Every once in a while though, somebody (like you) mistakenly turns off the wrong thing and can’t figure out how to get them back. It’s actually very simple, go into Settings > System Settings > Customize where you can turn them back on.

This is also expalined in the User’s Manual on page #32.

Now you can give the Zip to your son with a clear concience!

:smiley:

I just bought the new ‘limited edition’ 8gb Clip Zip with the metal clip. I love it with one very huge and important exception… The whole playlist issue. Reading this thread states that M3U playlists are fixed in some way-- what way is that?

I have copied my playlist from my Clip+ to use on the Zip, should work since I did a straight copy of the music from one Clip to another. however, only internal memory songs play on the playlist. I’ve looked at the forum topics and there is no real reason given on why the Clip + works and Clip Zip does not work with a simple playlist  …seems like a step backward with a new player in my opinion.

I tried to follow the advice in the forums too about using Winamp to create playlists & convert to .pla, but that does not work either.

I tried WMP to create playlists using music from both storage areas, those playlists do not work either. I really do not like how WMP does not just let you use what you have, its all gotta be sync this and use that…

Each time I try MTP and MSC, I have to delete/copy music so each system can recognize contents, this is becoming a real pain…

I would really appreciate an ‘official’ explanation from Sansa other than ‘thats how it is’ with regards to the backward progression in playlist support. 

Sorry for the mini rant, thanks for your help

Hi , i had a sansa 4gb clip player that rebooted every 3 minutes , froze , constantly cut out , i reformated , reset, installed updates, still no fix . I sent it back and sandisk was nice enough to send me another player ( newer one 4gb clip zip ) and now it is doing pretty much the same thing , its favorite thing is to reboot after about 3 minutes of play . I am fed up and cant believe you sent me another defective player. And if you offer to replace with a better player ( which you should after all the bs ) this time dont even ask that i spend my money to shipp it back like you did with my last dud player

It’s extremely rare (vitually impossible) for you to buy a player from a dealer (retail or on-line) that exhibits some sort of problem, get it replaced by SanDisk with a totally different model and from a totally different manufacturing batch and/or factory and have it be defective is exactly the same way. The odds are hugely astronomical or just not feasible.

Given also that there are millions of satisfied people with devices of the same model you are using and they have no similar issues, the more logical conclusion is that there is something unique and/or wrong with your files (or their ID3 tags).

Maybe if you give us some details about them (source, format, bit-rate, etc.) we can help you solve your problems so you can enjoy your player as we all do.

Absent this being a user-related issues, your solution, whether you like it or not, is to contact SanDisk again for a warranty replacement.

@ tapeworm , I have music on the player in mp3 format and podcasts in mp3 and it mostly seems to happen with the podcasts, here is a link to where I get the podcasts and maybe you can see if they are the problem http://www.newstalk1010.com/Hosts/JerryAgar.aspx  scroll half way down the page to find where the downloads are .

I just bought a Clip Zilp, and I’m pretty happy with it so far.  However, one of the first things I noticed was the lack of elapsed time display when playing  music track.  I see the lack of this useful feature mentioned often in previous posts, along with the info that the feature was included in previous versions, and then taken out(!).  All the more puzzling is the fact that on my Clip Zip, when I play an audiobook there is an elapsed time/remaining time display.  Why not on music tracks?

I think you might have mis-read something. The Zip has never had the elasped time displayed, even though it was repeatedly asked for by many. The previous Sansa models did however.

Why on audio books and not music? Good question. No good answer has been given by SanDisk; apparently they think they know better about what consumers and users want than what the consumers and users do.

All is not lost though. You can get this back (and many other benefits, features & options) by using aternative, 3rd-party firmware by Rockbox if you want to.

Please don’t forget to add track details next time!! Also more themes!

What is the best way to roll back the firmware to a previous version???