Sansa Clip Zip Firmware 01.01.20

I must mention, regarding Rhapsody functionality, I am puzzled.  The Recently Added list does update with Rhapsody transferred tracks, at least it does on my target device.  I see it listed as a known issue.

As for the Artist Information display, this function is not enabled on the Clip Zip in the first place.  On previous Sansa models, the rolling alternate display mode (activated by a brief tap of the center button) allows you to roll between the current display, a parametric display, Next Track name, and Artist Information.

I have tested the Artist Information data from Rhapsody, and the earlier players are dutifully displaying it as provided by the Rhapsody client.  The album, artist, and year do display, but the cool “snippets” of information about the artist or album are missing, replaced by a wee “dot”.  Don’t worry, it isn’t the Sansa’s fault, the artist information files on the device all contain a single “dot” character as that’s all we have in the info files.  The “ball’s in Rhapsody’s court” on this one.  Hopefully they’ll fix the issue, as Artist Information is fun, I miss the feature.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

There is an issue with MTP mode.   When I switch to it to make a playlist, I cannot see my music files (even though I know they’re there),  When I switch to MSC, the files “reappear”.  :dizzy_face: :confounded:

@fla_hotrod wrote:

There is an issue with MTP mode.   When I switch to it to make a playlist, I cannot see my music files (even though I know they’re there),  When I switch to MSC, the files “reappear”.  :dizzy_face: :confounded:

That’s not a flaw in the firmware or the player, it’s just the way MTP and MSC modes work. Files transferred in one mode are “invisible” to the PC when connected in the other mode. It’s ALWAYS been this way. The only way to avoid it is to use one mode or the other exclusively.

I don’t understand why files added in MTP mode don’t just get copied to a something like [albumtag]/[title].mp3 so that they’re visible in MSC mode. Seems like it would be really easy to implement.

Still no way to play podcasts in folder mode. Please correct this problem.

Here (France) it seems that RDS information still does not appear for stations with a space in their name. I will perform further testing downtown, where the signal is expected to be better.

I have the same problem with a radio station in Germany. Real RDS name is  “OLDIE 95” but the Zip shows " KBQN".

@john22 wrote:

I have the same problem with a radio station in Germany. Real RDS name is  “OLDIE 95” but the Zip shows " KBQN".

That’s not the fault of the Zip. It will only display what the radio station broadcasts and keys into the RDS tag. I don’t know about Germany but here in the States, radio & TV stations are required to broadcast (or identity themselves with) their call letters, such as KBQN periodically.

This a great news for us Linux users, we can now add music playlists again, thanks devs.

Martin

Thanks for fixing playlists, guys! Great to see that customers’ opinion matters!

I would be really happy if for the next iteration you manage to:

• add the info on “now playing” screen for elapsed time and time remaining for songs (also maybe track position in now playing list? like 17/235);
  • add the function to “Return to now playing list” , which would take you to the list of tracks that are currently queued;
  • help improve battery life by not having the screen light up when pressing any buttons when device is locked.
    Phones work like that - there’s a lock button that turns screen off immediately (not wait for it to go off by itself in 15 or more sec). Pressing any other buttons shouldn’t light it up - volume controls could still be functional while locked, but screen should remain dark. If you want to light screen up - press lock button again.
    Longer battery time would make users happy => user reviews and feature checklists on shop sites better => more sales for Sansa.

Thanks again! You’ve created a real gem!

Since this firmware update 01.01.20 my Phapsody account is useless. Please advise on a solution or fix the track update feature. I don’t want to pay for Rhapsody if my player can not update track licenses.

So I saw that M3U is now supported so I upgraded my mediamonkey to 4.0.3 and copied over my music and it made m3u playlists but they are still invisible from the menu.  I can though go into the Playlists folder from my computer and see them.  I can edit them and they look fine.  Is there something im missing?

@baldjogger wrote:

Since this firmware update 01.01.20 my Phapsody account is useless. Please advise on a solution or fix the track update feature. I don’t want to pay for Rhapsody if my player can not update track licenses.

try the steps here

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5220/kw/cant%20transfer%20rhapsody%20tracks

@gomjabar wrote:

So I saw that M3U is now supported so I upgraded my mediamonkey to 4.0.3 and copied over my music and it made m3u playlists but they are still invisible from the menu.  I can though go into the Playlists folder from my computer and see them.  I can edit them and they look fine.  Is there something im missing?

M3u playlist files must be placed in the Music folder along with the music files the playlist is comprised of, not the Playlists folder.

ok that makes sense thanks

The latest Rhapsody client is more stable, but the repair steps described in drlucky’s  link are the hot ticket for Rhapsody transfer issues.  At least Rhapsody has made repairing the DRM cache  much easier (it used to be done via the command-line interface).

So far, 01.01.20 works great with Rhapsody.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

In addition to message #15, further testing of RDS shows no relation between RDS information display and space character in the name of the station. For some stations (France Culture, Musique, Europe1, Bleu Isère) RDS information appears, for other (France Inter, France Info) it does not. I don’t think that reception quality is the reason, because audio is ok and RDS info appears for all the stations on other devices.

since the last firmware update, the power button has gone insane. it will click lock/unlock 3 times if i push the power button once.   It’s impossible to turn the power off, as well for the same reason.

Hold the Power Button 3-5 Second.

That was a perfect post. The two features you listed (track counter/total elapsed time) are among the most useful features to locate a file inside a given folder or a specific section of a song specially if it is a long one, like a piece of classical music. I hope Sandisk address this issue in future updates. Good writting!