Sansa Clip Zip Firmware 01.01.15

One potential issue…when trying to download the update, this is what shows on my computer…

The circle highlights where I clicked, which is the link for the manual firmware update link.

Yes, the link does appear to point to the same .12 firmware version, which is already posted in the Clip Zip board.

You people are so picky.   :wink:

I had not updated the link yet. no worries this will be moved to the public boards today. 

HI,

Thanks for the new version.

Can I change the letter already to the G format , to remove the radio?

I would really appreciate it.

@ubtapes wrote:

HI,

Thanks for the new version.

Can I change the letter already to the G format , to remove the radio?

I would really appreciate it.

Try it and see, but I’m guessing it doesn’t have what you want. You only requested that “feature” four days ago, and this firmware was released three days ago. Not to mention, the admin told you there was no ETA on when it could be added. Knowing they were about to release an update THE NEXT DAY, he probably would have said “in the next firmware”.

Thanks again for the upgraded firmware. 

I’ve just updated the firmware and I have discovered a problem in 01.01.15 and 01.01.12 firmware.  I have used a SlotCard and a Transcend 32GB class 4 card and the player repetitively hangs on “Refreshing your media.”  Both cards play and refresh well in Sansa Fuze and Clip+.  Any one else have this problem? If I don’t get this resolved, I will have to return Clip Zip.

Have had no issue whatsoever with my 16GB Kingston microSD card. 

You might try reformatting your card with the SD Association’s formatter tool, and see if that helps–sometimes it does.

https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter_3/

And you’re allowing sufficient time for the refresh, right?  (I assume you are, with your SanDisk player experience.)  It can take quite awhile, and especially at first and with a 32GB card, the refresh bar may seem “stuck.” 

If that doesn’t work, I wonder if there’s a defect with your player (especially if SanDisk’s own slot card isn’t working).  Best to call SanDisk for assistance, then?

In the U.S.:  1-866-SANDISK (726-3475).  And other SanDisk contact information:  http://www.sandisk.com/sandisk-support/contact-us

@therockies wrote:

I have used a SlotCard and a Transcend 32GB class 4 card and the player repetitively hangs on “Refreshing your media.”  Both cards play and refresh well in Sansa Fuze and Clip+.  Any one else have this problem? If I don’t get this resolved, I will have to return Clip Zip.

I have had no problems with either 16GB or a 32GB SanDisk cards, nor a SlotRadio card.

Found the solution!  After stating my problem with “Refreshing your media” causing my ClipZip to hang and reading your responses, it dawned on me the problem can’t be the SlotCard or the empty Transcend SDHC card as they continue to work well on my previous Sansa products.  Since refreshing the media is a database function, I decided to reformat the ClipZip using its menu and now it completes the refresh cycle. 

Thanks for the collective effort that led to some good ole root cause analysis!  :slight_smile:

Boy, I’m really glad they had an update. I was getting the static between songs, which this update fixes, and it was very annoying.

I hope my new Clip Zip’s jack for the earphones last longer than either my original E280 or my Sansa Fuze+. I decided to downgrade to just simply an mp3 player.

-LBA

I an trying to use a 32GB SanDisk class 4 cards with my Clip Zip.  If I put more than 2-3GB of content on the card the player hangs on “Refreshing your media”.  The progress bar only gets to about 35% or so and then the screen goes dark and even if you wait an hour for the refresh to finish it never does.  You then have to do a hard reset to start the player again.  If you have not removed the card before you do this the whole problem starts again and you are stuck in an endless loop until you remove the card.  

I tried this on 2 different 4gb Clip Zips and had the same problem with both.  Card is essentailly useless at this point.  I have spent over four hours with SanDisk online support on this issue, but have not gotten them to take owenrship of the issue yet.  They want me to get another memory card to test.  The nerve of them!

I am using the 01.01.15 firmware and it made no difference with this problem.  It failed with the new and the old firmware.

My files are a mix of m4a and mp3 with some having data rates up to 384kbps.  The player could not handle the m4a’s with greater than 320kbps data rates.  They play fine until the screen goes dark and then they degrade to unlistenable.  These files all played fine on my iPod Shuffle.  These two issues have me disappointed in the Clip Zip so far.

@gph wrote:

I an trying to use a 32GB SanDisk class 4 cards with my Clip Zip.  If I put more than 2-3GB of content on the card the player hangs on “Refreshing your media”.  The progress bar only gets to about 35% or so and then the screen goes dark and even if you wait an hour for the refresh to finish it never does.  You then have to do a hard reset to start the player again.  If you have not removed the card before you do this the whole problem starts again and you are stuck in an endless loop until you remove the card.  

I tried this on 2 different 4gb Clip Zips and had the same problem with both.  Card is essentailly useless at this point.  I have spent over four hours with SanDisk online support on this issue, but have not gotten them to take owenrship of the issue yet.  They want me to get another memory card to test.  The nerve of them!

I am using the 01.01.15 firmware and it made no difference with this problem.  It failed with the new and the old firmware.

My files are a mix of m4a and mp3 with some having data rates up to 384kbps.  The player could not handle the m4a’s with greater than 320kbps data rates.  They play fine until the screen goes dark and then they degrade to unlistenable.  These files all played fine on my iPod Shuffle.  These two issues have me disappointed in the Clip Zip so far.

I would guess there is a problem with a file. Run the checkdsk utility on your computer and scan your files if there is a corruption fix it. Every player is different so some corruptions will cause a hang on your CZ while not on an iPud. 

Something else to consider is that the card (If its new and un tested could be bad. The odds of 2 bad cards are miniscule but could happen.

Thanks for the tips Conversionbox,

Unfortunately, I can’t use chkdsk on my Mac, where my iTunes library is located. It’s a PC only utility. As far as some sort of corruption of a file, with 3000 files to load, it is a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack with no feedback from the Clip Zip (CZ) as to why it fails to load my files on the card.  With the screen the CZ provides I would have hoped SanDisk would actually display some sort of error messages on the screen if certain problems were encountered “Refreshing the media”.  They could trap errors due to unreadable files, incompatible formats, image files too large, etc. and use the display to help a customer out with some clues why operations are a no go, but I guess that is too much to expect these days, where products are rushed to market with inadequate testing and get replaced by a new model within a year or so. 

The whole point is for the CZ to successfully compete with the other established audio players, the CZ should be as good or better than those established players.  On paper the CZ is a better player than my shuffle, but right now I can only load about 5GB of my 29GB iTunes library to the CZ and even then any m4a files > 320kbps in data rate will all have to be reformatted to be playable on the CZ.  For me that is about 300 files I will need to convert, because the CZ isn’t up to the task. So much for as good or better.

The memory card issue really irks me because I specifically went out of my way to get a SanDisk brand card that runs at the faster rate (4 level) for use with this player. Right now this card sits unused due to the refresh cycle shutdowns, thus limiting me to playing a small fraction of my 29GB music library. 

As far as the memory card being the potential problem, it appears to format fine from my PC or from my Mac or from the CZ itself. I have successfully used it to transfer 20GB of video files between my Mac and PC without an error, so I am still inclined to blame the CZ card refresh routine for the issues I have experienced.

I guess I was foolish believing switching from an iPod (or iPud as you call it) to a CZ would be straight forward and relatively painless.  My plan to use a 4GB CZ with a 32GB card to hold my 29GB music library and still leave room for voice recording, podcasts and audio books only looks good on paper.  When it comes to my actual User Experience, the CZ has not delivered what I expected.  It remains a disappointment, but I do appreciate your feedback.

My plan now is to load my iTunes library to the Clip Zip in 3GB chunks until the entire 29Gb of files have been test loaded to the Clip Zip 4GB player.  If the files all load through the players Refresh cycle then I will know the files are not the problem.  This will leave the card or the player card refresh cycle as the most likely cause of the load problems.  We’ll see what comes of this test.

You have an excellent plan there, loading the card in several-gigabyte chunks.  I always cringe at mass transfers, as the odds increase markedly for problems.  I remember the days of filling a backup 10MB hard drive all at once.  Ah, the old days.

Now, we’re into the gigs!

Let us know how the process goes!  It will be eaasier to locate a problem by loading in increments.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

@neutron_bob wrote:

You have an excellent plan there, loading the card in several-gigabyte chunks.  I always cringe at mass transfers, as the odds increase markedly for problems.  I remember the days of filling a backup 10MB hard drive all at once.  Ah, the old days.

Now, we’re into the gigs!

Let us know how the process goes!  It will be eaasier to locate a problem by loading in increments.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

I loaded 59GB (yes, fifty-nine) onto a player today in one shot :dizzy_face:…granted, it took quite a long time.:wink:

@gph wrote:

Thanks for the tips Conversionbox,

Unfortunately, I can’t use chkdsk on my Mac, where my iTunes library is located. It’s a PC only utility

I am a mac too. Its just eaiser in most cases to give PC related suggestions. I struggle with my player doing anything fancy using my mac (I cant use audible, I have to drag and drop, etc) 

(or iPud as you call it)

This was just a type-o 

Good Luck with your player.

On the sansa + when you go to options, it says, “return to music list,” on the sansa clip zip, It doesn’t have this. Is there a way you can fix this and the known issue mentioned. thanks. 

@ross2011 wrote:

On the sansa + when you go to options, it says, “return to music list,” on the sansa clip zip, It doesn’t have this. Is there a way you can fix this and the known issue mentioned. thanks. 

Just press the Back button

Which ‘known issue’?

thanks.