Sandisk 4gb MicoSD Card

No one knows that, too.

This is aggrivating to say the least, it would be nice if someone from Sandisk would step up here.

I looked all over the Sansa Express descriptions, manuals, specs, and support information and there is NOTHING that says it will not accept over a 2GB card, ANYWHERE.

Now, I am stuck with a 4GB card that has been opened and the store will not return it or exchange it and it will not work in the player. Also, Sandisk won’t say if there will be a firmware update that will update the player and when it will be released.

If I wasn’t out the $68 I paid for the card I wouldn’t care as the player is a great player but this is terrible.

HEY SANDISK, STEP UP AND TELL PEOPLE! You have a stupid “compatibility” checker that is listed on your site on each products page but it doesn’t even include your own products!

Off to buy a Creative Zen that supports the card or sell the card. Thanks for nothing Sandisk.

You can get an e200 then put Rockbox on it.  That will support microSDHC card.

You are correct there but from what the Rockbox people say it doesn’t work with Rhapsody subscrition music and that is where i get most of my music from.

If they are MP3s or M4As, the music should work.

Nope, Rhapsody uses WMA and that is why it doesn’t work with Rockbox, already checked into it.

Even WMAs are supported, but protected WMAs are not.

Really? Could have swore that was what I was saying all along since I said they were SUBSCRIPTION tracks.

If you look at this page

It says “2007-07-03: WMA codec initial support”

Yeah, I have a thread running over there and they say that it still isn’t possible. I wish I could just get the stupid 2GB limit off the Sansa Express so I can use the 4GB card with it.

the limit is probably not software based, but hardware based so it cannot read the 4GB MicroSDHC card… but maybe i am wrong, and that can be changed via a firmware update :dizzy_face:

So full circle we have come.  When is a firmware update, and what will it fix?

Sandisk support of music players is very lackluster to put it mildly. 

I agree, I’d like the same answers.

The support supervisor named Brian that said he was going to call me back on a firmware update has yet to call but honestly that doesn’t surprise me. I called in and they said he was researching it yet and would call me in a few hours, that was yesterday afternoon.

Oh well, maybe time to buy Creative.

I am looking at Cowon myself.

Here’s my opinions about the SDHC cards.

I believe that the reading of the cards is pretty much a firmware issue rather than hardware. I mean it’s nearly like trying to install another device onto a computer. Back then Windows 98 never had the drivers (which are software based), to run USBs. Like a Win 98 computer, the SE doesn’t have the ability to read the SDHC (which is just a structure change increasing memory block size).
I just hope that is the problem, otherwise, my other theory is that the STMP3600 (the chipset that this device runs on, including the Creative Zen V) was not originally designed to read SDHC (since they are fairly new). So Sandisk may need to rewrite the that part of the chipset in the firmware update as well.

If the Creative Zen V can do it, then the SE can too (except on a smaller screen), since they both run on the exact same chipset. So if Sandisk actually says they can’t. Well, now we know that bs.

They say that the e200 series can’t as well but if you install Rockbox on one they can, so it is certainly in software related and not the hardware.

I noticed that the new v2 versions of the C200 series can now suppprt SDHC as well so I think they are writing software for them, question is whether or not they will for the other players out.

What really steams me about the whole ordeal is that no where on the Sandisk site do they mention a 2GB limit for the Express. They also have a compatibility checking tool but it doesn’t include their own products. This would answer a lot of questions and solve a lot of frustration right from the start.

Response from SanDisk says they will not update the Express to support SDHC.

I guess 4GB is the limit now…

Yes, if you have the 2GB Express and add a 2GB card, for 1GB Express users the limit will be 3GB. Just to clarify, the largest card that will work in the Express is a 2GB card.

Well, that’s until nano technologies make the mem board to be even smaller to allow normal mem block 4GB cards.