STILL NO PLAYLISTS--Updated to latest firmware, moved .m3u files to Music folder

I just bought a ZipClip last week, and I’m enamored of how cute it is!  I previously owned a Fuze+ (among other various brands of mp3 players) and it was a nightmare, but I was willing to give them another shot at a basic mp3 player.

I need to be able to play playlists on this for teaching dance class so I don’t have to play off my phone (where I have my full library), and it’s not working.  FAIL.  That’s the whole reason I bought the device.  I’m using MediaMonkey to sync, and it adds the files from the playlist I’m syncing to the device, but it doesn’t create a playlist.  The playlist section is empty on the device.  The file exists when looking through folders, so it’s not that MediaMonkey isn’t syncing it, it’s a device issue.

I see that the firmware update will probably fix that, but between the Ice Cream Sandwhich update messing up my Galaxy S2 more than it improved it and the various bugs with the Sansa Fuze+ firmware updates, I do not have faith in any company to release firmware that only fixes and doesn’t break anything.  My question is should I update or not?

At present, since I only plan to load playlists, not a full collection, I could go through and turn each playlist into an album.  It will be a pain in the ass, but I’d rather do that if the newest firmware is going to cause freezing, long start ups, shut downs, or other BS malfunctions.  What say you internets?  Are there any issues you have found with the new firmware that didn’t occur in the original firmware?

Yes, I would update.You can find the latest firmware version here. Don’t bother with the Updater; just install it manually.

And the nice thing is, if you don’t like the firmware upgrade, you easily can go back to an earlier firmware (a catalog of the earlier firmwares can be found in the Clip forum at the anythingbutipod.com forum–a great public service!).

great tip, I wish it was that easy to de-upgrade all my devices!

I updated, but the m3u playlists are still not showing up . . . I just need this thing to function.  I don’t understand why it’s so difficult for manufacturers to put out a product that does what it is supposed to :frowning:

@sabina wrote:

I updated, but the m3u playlists are still not showing up . . . I just need this thing to function.  I don’t understand why it’s so difficult for manufacturers to put out a product that does what it is supposed to :frowning:

Without any explanation or details of your playlists, it’s impossible to offer any help or suggestions.

You do know that .m3u plauylists must be stored in the Muisic folder where the songs that popluate said playlist are stored, and not the Playlist folder, right? That means if the songs are on the memory card, the .m3u playlist file must be in the Music folder on the card. Same with any playlists from songs residing on the internal memory; that playlist file must be in the Music folder on the player.

You can’t put .m3u playlist files in the Playlist folder, even though that would seem the most logicall place to put them. Only .pla format playlist files can be stored here.

Media Monkey put the playlists in the “Playlist” folder, so I tried manually putting them in the “Music” folder as you suggested.  They’re still not showing up.  Do I need to create a “Playlist” folder within the music folder?

What details about my playlists would make it easier to get some help?  I’m using Media Monkey V 4.0.3.1476 to sync.  I’ve always used Media Monkey seamlessly with a Creative Zen, Fuze+, and Galaxy SII with no issues before.  As I bought this player primarily for playlists, those are the only thing I have set to sync, not individual files/artists/albums from the main library.  The songs are there, they’re syncing to the device, and I can play them, but the playlists don’t show up.

I updated the device firmware, and now in the settings it lists 01.01.20A, which I assume is correct.

I’ve had some luck with putting the playlists in Music/Playlists and check “Force relative paths,” leaving everything else unchecked. Unfortunately, this only works sometimes – some of my playlists will be listed on the player and some won’t.

The only thing I have had success with is installing Rockbox and using my player that way. It bugs me that Sansa hasn’t gotten around to fixing this with a firmware update, but it’s a whole lot cheaper than buying an iPod.