Rick Steves Audio Tours - AAC Format

@marvin_martian wrote:

OK, I believe  I have found the issue. I think it must be the embedded pictures, because I have a podcast (Best of the Left Podcast) that will not play on the Zip, and it is the same type of format…the embedded pictures actually show up as a video stream, which the Zip does not support.

Those pictures would change throughout, if you were using an iPod and actually looking at the screen throughout the podcast, I think. (That one of mine, I just put the Touch’s screen to sleep and listen to it.)

So it’s probably a combination of the pictures beeing seen as video, and said pictures are probably far too big in size for the Zip to handle, as well. Its album art limit is 100kb filesize, and I’m guessing those images are much bigger than that.

Thanks for the quick reply. Your explanation makes a lot of sense and supports my suspicion that the Rick Steves m4a files are beyond the capability of the Clip Zip. It’s too bad that the CZ can’t just ignore the pictures and play the audio. The files also have section breaks with each section having a subtitle. Windows Media Player plays the files with audio and “video” but ignores the section breaks and subtitles.

So I guess it’s safe to say that the CZ is AAC capable as long as it’s a simple AAC file. I guess the Fuze+ might have been more appropriate since it plays video (more than one picture makes a video?). I just didn’t want to deal with the new user interface on the Fuze+. Maybe sometimes you just need an iPod.

Thanks again.