Repost from hidden Sansa View forum: music wont play when loaded - help?

Hi guys,

I have an 8gb View and a computer running Windows XP SP2.

Formatted the View yesterday and put 6gb of music onto it from Winamp, using MTC mode (selected from the system settings menu) as for some reason my View is not recognised normally as before (? weird).

After four hours I thought I’d loaded my music; took my View out for a walk but it showed as having no music loaded; got back and realised all the music files/folders were in the main root drive - and so cut and pasted them to the MUSIC folder. This has not worked either. What also hasn’t worked is taking the MP3 files out of their album/artist folders and copying them into the root directory of /MUSIC. It seems they are just not being recognised.

I have, however, been able to hook up the View to my laptop and transfer the 6gb of music to the laptop, where they are perfectly playable in Winamp. So why not from the View???

I know the View is an outdated pile of Cr@p… but anyone got any ideas as to how I can play my music on the go until I can afford something better?

Edit: same thing happens when I format the device and use Windows Media Player (version 11) to load on the music, except that this time the music goes directly into the MUSIC folder.

What’s going on here??? Can’t find anybody else on the 'net with the same problem. Grrrrrrrr.

Are you sure they are .mp3 files and not some un-supported format?

Yup, they’re all mp3s. Mostly, anyway - just a few are .ogg and .flac and others.

Looks like I might have been a bit stupid here… When I disconnected the device after loading mp3s it displayed “refresh database” with a progress bar that stopped after a few seconds, making the player seem to lock up and crash. However I’ve discovered that if you leave it a few minutes then it returns to normal, becomes responsive again, and suddenly recognises all my mp3s… so, problem solved.

Sorry for any time wasted! I’ll leave this thread here but mods, feel free to delete…

I am am also having this problem…except the player doesn’t freeze up while the bar is loading - the bar loads very quickly, says ‘Finished’ and then, the only 2 tracks which are recognised seem to be on the microSD card (one called VERSION, which I presume must be something it thinks is a song, but isn’t, and another which is a song, but displays ‘bad track,’ even though I can play it).

What should I do?

@domjohnson wrote:

I am am also having this problem…except the player doesn’t freeze up while the bar is loading - the bar loads very quickly, says ‘Finished’ and then, the only 2 tracks which are recognised seem to be on the microSD card (one called VERSION, which I presume must be something it thinks is a song, but isn’t, and another which is a song, but displays ‘bad track,’ even though I can play it).

The player is either unable to read the ID3 tags during it’s database refresh and/or the files are an unrecognized format or corrupted.

Tell us a little about the format of the files (.mp3, .wma, etc.) and their source (ripped from CD’s, downloaded from a music service, etc.) and maybe we can help.

Hi,

The music files are in .mp3 format, and I think they’re ripped from a CD, and some are from a download service, I think…

The files on the View play fine on the computer when it is plugged in, so I can’t imagine they’re corrupted…The firmware is also up-to-date.

Thanks for your speedy response!

-Dom

Right then, I’ll try and rip from a cd and see if that works!

Nope. Didn’t work. File not recognised on the song list.

Also, I made a voice recording, and tried to play it straight after recording, from the song list, and that throws up a ‘bad track’ error, too.

Sometimes things can go wacky for no known reason. If it were me, I’d format the player and reload (some) of the files. See if it plays them then. If so, continue on, you’re good to go.

If not, there’s something else at play here.

I thought that, too. In fact, I did that twice.

Is there not some file I can delete that will be automatically replaced on start-up, but that will force the database to be cleaned and rebuilt?

Another thing: one of the songs is ‘VERSION’ - which is in the root directory and is in fact a normal file (not audio) that I assume has something to do with the player.

@domjohnson wrote:

I thought that, too. In fact, I did that twice.

Is there not some file I can delete that will be automatically replaced on start-up, but that will force the database to be cleaned and rebuilt?

Another thing: one of the songs is ‘VERSION’ - which is in the root directory and is in fact a normal file (not audio) that I assume has something to do with the player.

Yes, there is. Unfortunately, I don’t have a View so I can’t tell you for sure where (or what) it is. On the e200 series version 1, it’s the DATA folder inside of the SYSTEM folder. On the version 2 model, and on the Fuze, Clip, clip+, etc. it is the MTABLE.SYS file.

Note you have to be connected with the player in MSC mode _ and _ have hidden files and folders set to show in Windows in order to see these files.

Hi,

The DATA folder is completely empty. Only the folder itself exhists. In fact, the only files that exhist on the whole of the MP3 player seem to be WMDRPD>STORE.HDS and VERSION.SDK, the latter of which shows up in the Song List.

I’m guessing I need some sort of backup restore tool or something…can someone direct me to it?

WHOO! I followed the instructions in post 1 here -> http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-View/FIXED-and-WORKS-everytime-Firmware-erase-Stuck-on-Startup-Screen/m-p/147770/highlight/false#M12647 <- and it worked.

Cheers for everyone’s help here! I was about to sell the player!